What is my best wireless networking option?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bamaworks, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I'm completely uninformed when it comes to the wireless world, I know how to hook it up, and how to configure it all, but when it comes to comparing the technologies and manufacturers, I'm rather lost.

So here's the scenario:

4 Computers and 1 Xbox360 on the network. I'm trying to decide what Wireless router to purchase than can adequately handle these devices as well as the Down / Up speed of my network.

All I really care about is that I don't lag on xbox live, but I'm sure everyone else would like to be able to surf also :).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Any wireless router will do. I had your scenario a few weeks ago, and our Netgear router did the trick.

3. bamaworks thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the down/up speed of your network? I'm considering going with Airport Extreme.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

standard g is cheap and overkill for you do. your internet connection is slower to the world is slower than b. g has further range and overall i like it better.

i like linksys http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&id=1051384663529
    but i have upgraded to an apple router (<grumble> right before they upgraded to gigabit </grumble>) and its got some sort of magic in it because its got double the range that linksys does but cost but cost a heck of a lot more.

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I've been a customer of SMC, Linksys, Netgear, Trendnet, DLink and Apple. I started with the first Apple AirPort released several years ago. I used and loved it for a few years, but it was only a wireless B and as you could guess I wanted to upgrade. I cycled through all the other mentioned companies' G offerings. Each one died after only a few months or a year (the Linksys lasting the longest and DLink the shortest).

Admittedly, that's probably just my luck. I can't imagine many others would get that many lemons.. The way I see it though, the only router that still works is my good old AirPort. I just bought the new AirPort Extreme N and love it even more. On paper it is overkill for your needs, but I'd recommend it based on its quality and great warranty.

If you don't and to plan to have any other N kit, and you wouldn't use the AirPort disk feature; you might do better purchasing the last AirPort Extreme G. It was nearly as good and can be had for only a fraction of the price.

6. bamaworks thread starter macrumors 6502

You were definitely right about the price. I just won last generation's AirPort Base Station (wireless G) for total $40 after shipping on Ebay. Suhweet!