What is my computer doing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by OatmealRocks, Oct 26, 2010.

1. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

I have iMac i7 2.8/8GB and 150Gb used on a 1TB.

Ive notice a slight performance lag on my computer. I have done repair permission and rebooted my computer.

For some reason this week I have notice off sluggish behaviour or contant noise from HD doing something.

Some times when I right click something the window takes a long time to pop up. (reboot fixes this), and other times scrolling pages on a website lags.

I took a picture of the activity monitor. In the pic, I only have outlook open and nothing else. You can see some random stuff is being written to the HD. No idea what it is but it jsut comes and I can hear it. Sometimes more frequent than others. It seems to buildup after a while and gets worst the longer the computer is on. I can hear the HD doing somethign while I am not really doing anything.

You can see from the attached pic the red peaks.. on the HD. Most of the times the peaks are more frequent but constant.

Anyone?

[​IMG]

2. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

ARgggh

If it was small peaks I wouldn't be worried or be able to hear it. Another screen shot.

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Perhaps your hard drive is dying out. Try booting using your Application Install DVD by pressing 'D' on the keyboard while the Mac is restarting and do a hardware tests. Slowdowns, beachballs and weird hard drive noises are a good indication of something going wrong mechanically.