What is my iPhone doing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashin, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Since 4.3, my iPhone seems to keep connecting to data for some reason (using EDGE so it makes my speakers buzz) ever few minutes, even with everything turned off in terms of notifications, push etc, even Ping disabled in restrictions, and even happens with a brand new restore set up as new...

This seems to make my iPhones usage creep up in standby (about 3-5 minutes per hour) and also my data usage creep up (about 1mb a day).

What could be causing this, it's so frustrating, 4.2.1 never did this, and I can't find a single way to fix it.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The way you describe it, it sounds to me like some sort of interference. Is the speaker on your phone, the one that is buzzing, or a nearby speaker?

3. 548827 macrumors member

4. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Was just using the speaker buzz as an indicator to how I know my iPhone is making a data connection, that buzzing noise all electronic devices make when a mobile phone is near it

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

OK, I understand now...It is common for the phone to ping the tower every few minutes. Mine does the same thing.

6. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

When I had a ATT iPhone, I could always tell when I was taking the shaft on the 3G signal b/c my speakers would buzz. Sure enough - Edge. Didn't matter what the phone was doing - Edge made my speakers buzz.

I subtle reminder for me to get off ATT as soon as possible !! "Oh, there goes my damned connection again ... "