Price Advice What is my MacBook Pro Worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elcohne, Aug 6, 2012.

1. elcohne macrumors newbie

Thinking about selling it for an Air.

2010 model, 15 inch
    i7 processor (2.66 GHz)
    8 gb RAM
    Upgraded high-res anti-glare screen
    500 gb hard drive
    Apple Care until May 2013
    Original install discs.

Works perfectly. Normal cosmetic damage from two years of use

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Someone has been trying to sell that exact same MBP on marketplace here - his has 11 months AC left - he has lowered the price several times with little interest on the thread - he has it down to 1375 shipped - but several people have commented it isn't worth 1100.

A refurbed with 1yr warranty + option to extend warranty 2 more years + doesn't have 2 years of use is simply worth a TON more.

If you could get $1100 you should feel blessed - if you get more i am happy for you - although the buyer got ripped off :)

----------

completely different

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I totally agree with you that they're completely different. Display and battery aging, keyboard wear, etc. are factors in a used machine. It may remain fine within Applecare, but this doesn't mean it will lead a service free life if the buyer elects to keep it for several years. That's entirely possible as they're buying it today. I'd say it's worth around $900 if the OP expects to sell it within a reasonable amount of time. Expect that to drop further once 2012 refurbished units are released.

The performance is slightly lower than a 2012 macbook air and definitely lower than a 2012 13" macbook pro in all tests, and pretty soon you'll be competing with refurbished stock from those. Refurbished units will probably be around $1000 in the US which will ensure yours won't sell above that unless the buyer is completely ignorant. Apple seems to be trying to clear out older inventory before listing 2012 refurbished units. Even the HD4000 gpu outpaces the gpu of that era. Your market would be someone who specifically wants the real estate of the 15" yet can't afford a new one. Otherwise Apple has a late 2011 quad model with better graphics and 0 wear for just over $1300, and that is a much better buy. You must remember you're competing with more recent lower end models that can outpace this one due to age. No one will buy 2010 era hardware for its performance, so if you expect to get a lot, you'll likely be waiting for an uneducated buyer.