What is my memory being used on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

What is it referring to when it says "backups" ?

Attached Files:

2. RLesko macrumors member

Do you have Time Machine enabled? Also - its not "memory", its your solid state drive. Normally I'd say "disk space", but there is no disk...

3. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Yes time machine is enabled.... and since it's not "disk space" I'd call it memory... :\

4. codehead macrumors member

What is Other?

I've got 78 gb in other. But what is that? Does anyone know?

5. RLesko macrumors member

Well if you enabled Time Machine I'd guess thats where your back ups are sitting, unless you use an external HD to back up. Check out a free application called Disk Inventory

6. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I use an external. I'll check out the app though.

7. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

There's also DaisyDisk, it's like diskinventory. But with nice graphics :)

8. The-Pro macrumors 65816

When you have time machine enabled it will backup to your internal and move those files to your external time machine the next time its plugged in.
    I had that once (92.3GB of backups) but it only showed up in the storage section of "about this mac" my actual disk space wasn't any corresponding with that info (About this mac showed 240.6GB free, actual free space was 332.9GB) right click your Macintosh HD icon and click get Info. there it will tell you the actual free space. Don't worry about what it says in that storage section. Plug in the external and it will be gone. And you get the apparently used up space back!
    For all those who don't know what the "other" section is. Its all your Documents, System files, downloads, etc. Everything else on your computer that doesn't fit into one of the categories: Audio, Movies, Photos, Apps.

Download Disk Inventory X to find out the location of all files that hog your disk space. I found approx. 180GB of stuff that were transferred from old macs, I thought those files didn't even exist anymore.

9. refurbished macrumors member

Yea, I would recommend DaisyDisk as well. It looks really good and is so useful and easy to use and understand.

10. moikeyy macrumors member

moikeyy

That "others" may happen to be backups of your iPhone/iPad/iPod. I had 40gig of "others" the other day and it was driving me nuts till I found the source.