Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyfortech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
Hey

I was wondering what my powermac is worth. It is a

dual 500mhz
512 mb RAM
40gb harddrive
dvd drive
tiger with all cd's (box set)

I'm thinking of selling it on ebay, what is it worth. I also am including the whole box set tiger. Will that raise the value?

THANKS

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
1. dual 500mhz (even the iBooks have a faster processor now, and only a few apps make use of MP).

2. 512 mb RAM (all standard Macintoshes have a minimum of 512 RAM).

3. 40gb harddrive (all standard Macintoshes have a minimum of 30-40GB HDD).

4. dvd drive (all standard Macintoshes have a combo drive, DVD-ROM/CD-R/RW).

5. tiger with all cd's (box set) ( A small perk, however the same as all of the above).

The only benefit is the expandability of the PowerMac. To break the news its far too old of a system as we are moving into the x86 world. Don't count on getting much. :(

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
You'll probably get around $200 to $300 out of it. If a display is included, add around $100 depending on if its a CRT of LCD.

crazyfortech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
should i sell it

well i already invested a lot into paid 264.00 for it, I took my old pci and it works really fast. Shoudl I keep it? Maybe for 2 more years!

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
crazyfortech said:
well i already invested a lot into paid 264.00 for it, I took my old pci and it works really fast. Shoudl I keep it? Maybe for 2 more years!

I would still keep it as I am sure it still performs the basic functions of a PC. Internet, Music, Video, Mail, unless its unbearably slow. ;)

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
crazyfortech said:

check ebay for prices of comparable machines. I'd say if you paid $264 for it, that was fair price, since I have seen single 500's going for ~$175 lately :)

But why did you buy it in the first place if you didnt want to keep it ?

Surely you realize that if you put another 512-1GB of ram in it, it will run MUCH faster, yes ?

C

CompUser

Its at that point right now where its not really worth selling because you won't make much money off of it and its better to keep as a backup.

Say if you were to have a 10 year old car with 150,000 miles on it, it runs prefectly but you would only get $3,000 and you paid 30,000 when it was new. Its better just to keep as a backup or to give to your kid.

crazysaxchris

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2005
A SMALL TOWN IN WISCONSIN
I think I'll keep it. I'll have to wait for the mac mini intel rev 5 to come out. I hope I'm doing the right choice. I really wanted a mac, and now I have one. I was thinking if I do by the mac mini intel it is bound to something to happen to it. (REV 1)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.