What is my wifi spec?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin00, Dec 20, 2016.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

I have a mid 2015 rMBP and this is a screenshot of the wifi bit.

I just ordered a new Asus RT-AC87U router which offers 4x4 MU-MIMO antenna design with AiRadar universal beamforming for unrivaled multi-device performance and wireless signal coverage up to 465m.

What I do not fully understand is in some reviews they mention that most devices do not even have 3x3 with the exception being Apple. Does this rMBP have a 3x3 or 4x4 whatever it is lol??

Will I get the full benefit from this router? My internet is Virgin Media 200mb, currently the fastest in the UK but not being up on all this Im unsure if this router will not enable me to reach the full potential on the machines wifi

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC87U/

Attached Files:

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's 3x3, up to 1300Mbps. If you've got the Superhub 2AC from Virgin then you should be fine and don't need the Asus.

3. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Thanks.
    Would the Asus give me better range than the 2AC?

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I don't know the 2AC, but if the numbers for the ASUS is correct it's range is pretty incredible, so I'd say probably. For optimal Wi-Fi my biggest recommendation however, is making sure you run on a 5GHz channel. Usually much less interference that way. In fact, check a bunch of the channels to see which is less crowded in your area.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Probably. You have a 465m garden? ;)

6. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Ah ok so it will reach about 465m, nice :) This one barely gets to the patio.

Its just arrived and its a bit on a monster so will get it set up this evening. Thanks

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

For something with a covering range of 465m, I'd expect a monster. But remember that number is probably the diameter, not radius. And adding interference to the equation, you might only get 180m in every direction from the router... As if that's not much.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Not to mention walls!

Try it, see how it goes. If it's not much better than the Superhub then return it. My parents were happy with their Superhub, and I'd happily get a 300Mbps signal anywhere in the house with my rMBP.

9. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Oh yeah - that too. If he/she hasn't already, I think our OP should play around with the different channels too. A bad signal is more often than not a result of an overused channel than the router's range or whatnot.

10. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

I downloaded a wifi analyser last night and get around half or less when upstairs and at the furthest point away for the router upstairs. Downstairs I was getting around 400+ on the 5ghz yet upstairs was 200 and less. I did not try outside.

Im sure its set to auto channel when I was looking at the router settings but I have this now so will see how this goes and go from there

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No Apple device currently sold supports MU-MIMO, so it is a bit of a waste to spend all the extra money for a MU-MIMO router at this point.

12. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

You can option-click the wifi icon in the toolbar and it will also give you details on your current connection status.

13. jerryk macrumors 68030

Especially if you use 5GHz which gets quickly attenuated by walls, floors, etc.

14. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Yes understand but its also for the range too as Im finding out this appears to be very good for its range.

I have had a play with this tonight as it also helped me chose my channels so I been testing my speeds etc so I got the channels down but this was on my Superhub 2AC as the Asus one didn't work lol. It powered up the first time which allowed me to set it up using the quick set up but then I reset it and then it would not power back up. Checked the obvious like the fuse etc but it seems to be blowing them straight away.

Replacement will be here Friday so I trying to learn more about all this.

15. mbezzo macrumors member

Just a general FYI relating to ranges on wifi routers. While the router may be good for 465m, almost every single device you'd connect to that router absolutely does NOT have that range. Wifi is a 2 way street - the device has to be able to send a signal back to the router as well... :)

16. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

What sort off range would you expect from modern Apple devices? iPhone 7+ and Mid 2015 rMBP.

17. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Range is so dependant on interference in the area, walls, etc, so it's hard to tell exactly. It's a fair bit though. In my house, the range is about 40-50m, but that's going through the outer wall which is really, really thich and on the 5GHz signal, which is less prone to suffer from interference, but more vulnerable to obstructions.

But they do support SU-MIMO, so it's better than a router that doesn't support MIMO at all, and Apple devices might in the future. Client devices are replaced a lot more frequently than routers.

18. jamin00, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Got the router set up finally and its amazing.

500+mbps and its around 250-450 mbps upstairs. Not walked outside yet to see what it gets but on 5ghz I get full signal in every room except the downstairs bathroom oddly enough?

That was just after I set it up with only 1 or 2 devices on the wifi network. Just done it again now with 8 devices on the network and the average is 423.7 mbps over 30 secs.

That was on the iPhone.

Just done the same thing with my rMBP and its around 800+ mbps?

Attached Files:

19. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Jebus you pay for fast internet... I only have an 80mbps connection. Router more than maxes that out...