what is "other" on macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AFR25, Jul 12, 2016.

1. AFR25 macrumors newbie

AFR25

i really annoying what is "other" on macbook's storage? it takes many gbs on my storage. anyone know what "other" is and could you give me some advice to manage "other" so this "other" doesnt take my storage.

thanks so much

Attached Files:

2. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Everything other than Apps, Music, Books, Photos, Documents, and Videos.

Things you might see in this would be:
    Internet Cache
    Program Logs
    Crash Logs
    App settings (such as that checkbox that you clicked which is saved in a property list file)

It's literally other things that do not fit into one of the listed categories.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Quite often it's local time machine back ups, turn off time machine see if it disappears.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Other is everything that does not fall into one of the remaining listed categories, including the OS itself. 20GB is quite normal.

5. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Once you back up to Time Machine, most of this is removed, it will only contain data that has been added since the backup started, typically this falls under the backups category.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2016 ---
    To add to my original post, the OS system files are included, so removing all of the "Other" category is a bad idea. The graph is only useful for determining what you are comfortable with. If you see you have 15 GB of Document storage on your disk, it might make you consider offloading some of those files to external media. (CD, DVD, USB Stick, External Drive, etc...)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not how it works. Even after you complete a TM backup, it will still stay in the hidden /.MobileBackups folder and just accumulate until the disk starts to reach 80% full, then the OS will start to purge off the oldest data.

You are correct though, that this is not part of Other.

7. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Interesting as a I notice a drop in used space when the time machine backup finishes.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can test it by downloading a large video or something then deleting it, then emptying the trash. That moves the file to /.MobileBackups.

Then run this command in Terminal to see this size of the folder.

Code:
    sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups
    Then do a TM backup and check again and you should see the size is unchanged. As long as there is plenty of drive space, it just keeps on saving things to that folder.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015

More info on how it works at this link.

9. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Thanks for the link and the command.