What is "other"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by photogpab, Mar 25, 2012.

1. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

when syncing my ipad, itunes shows how much space is being taken up, audio, video, photos, etc... but there is another category labeled "other" that fluctuates anywhere from .70 GB to 3GB on any given day.

i have no idea what this could be? but on those days that it goes as high as 3GB its taking up a large amount of my storage!

2. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

It is pretty much as the name implies.
    All the things that don't fit under the usual things like anything you add to an outside app like PDF's to Goodreader or movies to VLC Or Goodplayer, Comics in a comics app and so on.
    I also believe but am not sure the system files are under that too.

Hope this helps.

3. batotman macrumors 6502

4. bubbaguuump macrumors newbie

Other usually is the IOS install but sometimes when it fluctuates like that it's probably microscopic interdenominational aliens known as iQuark strings. They're harmless and need to feed on the extra power of the iPad to keep the warmth down buy the quadcore GPU :) Nothing to worry about - just Apple trying to help :apple:

5. batotman macrumors 6502

Yes, Squidward. Food for the soul. Krabby Patties.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Other data is things like iOS OTA updates, Siri voice files, Safari data, stock app caches, system caches, iTunes media artwork, photo library databases (not the images themselves), text messages, picture/video messages, emails, rented videos that are expired but not deleted.

Not quite. If you add PDFs to Goodreader, they count as app data. If you add any data to an App Store app's sandbox folder, it counts as app data.

7. dancj macrumors 6502

If it gets stuck on a large amount then it could be leftover crap from aborted syncs. In that case it's worth doing a full restore from backup which will only restore the stuff you're actually using.

8. photogpab thread starter macrumors 6502

photogpab

Thanks