Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
when syncing my ipad, itunes shows how much space is being taken up, audio, video, photos, etc... but there is another category labeled "other" that fluctuates anywhere from .70 GB to 3GB on any given day.

i have no idea what this could be? but on those days that it goes as high as 3GB its taking up a large amount of my storage!

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
It is pretty much as the name implies.
All the things that don't fit under the usual things like anything you add to an outside app like PDF's to Goodreader or movies to VLC Or Goodplayer, Comics in a comics app and so on.
I also believe but am not sure the system files are under that too.

Hope this helps.

bubbaguuump

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Other usually is the IOS install but sometimes when it fluctuates like that it's probably microscopic interdenominational aliens known as iQuark strings. They're harmless and need to feed on the extra power of the iPad to keep the warmth down buy the quadcore GPU :) Nothing to worry about - just Apple trying to help :apple:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Other data is things like iOS OTA updates, Siri voice files, Safari data, stock app caches, system caches, iTunes media artwork, photo library databases (not the images themselves), text messages, picture/video messages, emails, rented videos that are expired but not deleted.

It is pretty much as the name implies.
All the things that don't fit under the usual things like anything you add to an outside app like PDF's to Goodreader or movies to VLC Or Goodplayer, Comics in a comics app and so on.
I also believe but am not sure the system files are under that too.

Hope this helps.

Not quite. If you add PDFs to Goodreader, they count as app data. If you add any data to an App Store app's sandbox folder, it counts as app data.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
If it gets stuck on a large amount then it could be leftover crap from aborted syncs. In that case it's worth doing a full restore from backup which will only restore the stuff you're actually using.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
If it gets stuck on a large amount then it could be leftover crap from aborted syncs. In that case it's worth doing a full restore from backup which will only restore the stuff you're actually using.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.