what is perspective zoom?

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Just updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7.1. I turned off perspective zoom in settings>Wallpapers & Brightness, but the parallax effect was still noticeable on home screen. The effect was not shown on lock screen though. Is this inconsistency on purpose? To me it looks like a bug.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go to settings>wallpapers & brightness and tap any where on the two wallpapers at the bottom and you will see the option. You have to be on 7.1.
And I believe it only appears if you don't have reduce motion enabled (otherwise with it enabled you already basically don't have parallax and motion anyway).

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
It stops the wallpaper from zooming in, and therefore stops the wallpaper moving about when the device is tilted.

However, the parallax effect remains on the icons and other system items.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Are you sure? I still have the parallax effect when it is off. I was hoping it would disable the effect. Maybe I have a bug.

Using an iPad 2.
3rd Edit,

Honestly I don't know what the heck that feature does. With it on there is more wallpaper shifting as with it off the icons seem to shift more than the background :confused:

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
Fairly sure it just shows how your wallpaper will look with parallex enabled, turn it off to position a bit better.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Just read my post above. It explains what it does.
If you put a striped wallpaper on, it is more obvious. The sides move towards each other at the top, when you lay the phone flat, the same way railway tracks look like they are closer together, further away...perspective.

Attachments