What is '"Ping" wants to connect to www.google.com...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macswitcha2, Oct 21, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

using protocol ICMP?"

I monitor all my incoming traffic so is this something to forever allow?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I run an awesome free App called Little Snitch ... it basically prevents my MBP from accepting suspect connections to the Internet. (works like a reverse firewall) I was amazed at how many apps want to connect to the internet.

one simple example is ... I have a "Slots" game from Hoyle ... when I launched it ... It would have connected my computer to their server for some reason.

I clicked deny forever ... Google is always trying to get my computer to connect to them ... I always deny them.

I have zero respect for Google, Facebook or Twitter.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Don't know why you deleted the original first response to my question but I did some digging and discovered http://blog.securactive.net/?p=350

According to the blog, the "Ping" I'm asking about is not the Ping of iTunes.

It seems like all Ping is in regards to ICMP protocol is a connection that sends messages but what kind of messages is it sending?

I have Little Snitch too. But, according to my interception, its not google.com that wants to connect, its this thing called Ping that wants to connect to google.com, but why?

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

As mentioned above, ping is also command. If I were to guess, I would say some application you have installed pings Google's web site in order to tell if you are connected to the internet or not. Can't say what program is initiating the ping though. You can see this discussion which also had ping flagged and it was from a Dashboard widget.