What is Ping?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BJB Productions, Jan 25, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hey everyone,
    I just wanted to share a short video I made about iTunes Ping. Please feel free to watch and let me know what you think. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hvuLg5rB8

-BJB

A side note to mods: if I posted in the wrong forum, please forgive me. I was really unsure as to where I should post this... I saw another thread about Ping in this forum, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

2. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

It's called sarcasm. :rolleyes:

4. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

um ok

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Ping is a failure in the eyes of many people.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I wouldn't say it's a complete failure yet. When Apple launches a new product or service, it's usually a barebones, unrefined, and technically boring "place-holder" product. It is only after subsequent releases does it become much more refined, practical, and useful. Just look at the original iPhone (an EDGE phone released on a 3G network with no App Store), iPad (no RAM, no camera, too dependent on a real computer), mobileMe, (we're still waiting for this to be useful), AppleTV, MBA, etc. Ping, although is trash now, may actually evolve into something good.

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yes- you bring up a very good point. I think it's still very possible it could become something better. *If* it was to ever get Facebook integration, it would probably really take off.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The difference, though, is that with all of those items you could make a list of the things they needed to become good. Eventually Apple works their way down that list and the products gets better.

I can't even make that list for Ping. If we can't even write it down, what hope does Apple have of actually doing it?

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Apple just did a misstep here, it's happened before, it will happen again.

10. Belladesouja macrumors newbie

Ping is tool which was used by administrator and he check the ranking of host and on Internet protocol. Ping will be operate ICMP ( Internet Control Massage Protocol), it will used echo request packet to the target host.

11. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Well if you want to play that way, Ping is a brand of high-quality golf equipment, as well as one of the largest of the remaining American manufacturers of golf clubs, based in Phoenix, Arizona, founded by Karsten Solheim, who was an engineer at the General Electric company. :p

12. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They make golf products. :)

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

in order for Ping to be successful it needs to be a stand alone app, not a sidebar to iTunes

14. thelonelylimo macrumors 6502

thelonelylimo

It's main focus being music only is rather boring. I hope in the future you'll be able to share what film you rented on Apple TV and the new apps you've purchased. I like Ping though, I see it becoming more popular. Recently I've noticed few people on Twitter ask their followers to "follow them on Ping".

Ping as a native app. by itself would be nice too I think.

Game Center is pretty worthless. I don't have much to say about that, besides the fact it looks hideous.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

16. nomik2 macrumors regular

They told Facebook to 'screw off' 'we can do this ourselves' and look what happened.

Facebook and Youtube (Music Videos?) integration could have saved it.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Not quite true - Apple wanted Facebook integration but Facebook didn't want to play nice, basically saying Apple should pay for the additional traffic that Ping would produce in Facebook....

18. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Shouldn't this be the opposite way around? I don't use facebook but apple is a much bigger business that some stupid website.

19. redtape macrumors member

I think this video would make a great ad for ping, you have definitely caught the Apple feeling. Great work!

But I think what Ping also really need now is an introductory instructional video, kind of what google is doing with Chrome os. A sort of "reasons for existing and why you should use it".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRO3gKj3qw

20. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Haha thanks. I was actually making fun of it. I guess that was not clear enough. ;)

21. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1. Yep - needs to be a functional website not completely tied to a platform-dependent application.