What is point of photo stream?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhigh8, Nov 25, 2013.

1. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

It takes up a bunch of space on phone and I haven't really understood it from the beginning. I used to click on a bunch of pics and share with my wife but they would sometime take a day to get to her. I can just email or text faster. What does it do and what is it used for. It seems to just duplicate every pic I take and use space.

Would love to understand better.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's a way to automatically sync pictures you take with other Mac and iOS devices that you own.

I don't have to plug my iphone into my Mac ever, but every photo I take on it will be in my Aperture library on my Mac.

3. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay. So what is actually syncing to my PC? Camera roll or photo stream. I sometimes delete from photo stream to save space so I have 1300 in camera roll and 900 in photo stream. I notice some auto sync and my wife's phone only synce when she plugs into laptop.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

5. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

I love Photostream. Every now and then I open iPhoto and save all my recent photos taken with my iPhone. I don't need to connect it to my Mac or send them manually.

If I'm on a trip and take 500+ photos, when I get home they're already on my iPhoto library waiting for me to work with them. (As long as you have WiFi on your phone that is).

7. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

can you use iPhoto with any pc? i noticed everyone that has it, has a mac.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yes, it works on a PC. That's the first question on the link dictoresno posted. ;)

9. mzd macrumors 6502a

NO. Photo Stream works with on a PC, yes, but iPhoto, the app from Apple, is only available for Mac and/or iOS.

10. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

In its current state, my wife and I use it to update and manage our screen-savers. we both subscribe to the same "sub-stream" titled "screen-saver" and upload to that to update and manage the screen-savers on our apple-tv and mac-mini.

I think the problem here is that you don't have a mac? It's all subjective, but I feel the problem with a lot of apple products is that the consumer isn't using all apple products. It makes a difference.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thanks, I totally read that as photo stream, not iPhoto. :eek: