What is "Push"?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sdguy6904, Mar 9, 2008.

1. sdguy6904 macrumors newbie

Ok, this might be a stupid question, but when they were describing th SDK , Apple said ......

"- Push email
    - Push calendar
    - Push contacts"

..... would be coming the the iPhone and iPod Touch.

What is "push email" and "push calendar"?

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

3. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

At the moment if you want to receive or check any new mail you have to initiate a request from the Iphone.

Push technology means when the sender sends the email, this is pushed to your Iphone, you dont need to click "send/receive"

I think this is just with Microsoft Exchange server though.

4. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

5. lpj8 macrumors member

Yep, Apple indicated that all of the updates would also come to the iPod Touch, however there will be a "nominal" fee for the update.

6. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Forgive my ignorance, but how will push email work with the iPod Touch? It doesn't get a cellular signal, right?

I just ordered a 32gig Touch, and I have never even seen one yet, so I don't really know too much about their capabilities yet.

And what about iChat or an equivalent?

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It'll only work when hooked up to WiFi :)

8. seenett macrumors regular

THAT's the big question - does anyone have more info about this? I love my Blackberry's push email - but it is my personal email. I don't have or need Enterprise server. Wondering if the iphone will be able to push personal email that doesn't go through Exchange Server.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Currently only Yahoo offers Push for the iPhone/iPod...I think?

10. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Now let's say you have an iPod Touch and it has push email capability. Who do you pay for the service? I know Blackberry is pricey as hell for the push email. So who would push email to the iPhone, cuz you know it ain't gonna by Blackberry doing it. And how much would that cost, you think?

11. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Push e-mail using Exchange is baked into the server software. If you are already using an Exchange server that /supports/ DirectPush (Microsoft's name for the technology), there is no charge.

12. y0jeremy macrumors newbie

Push just means your Exchange server notifies your iphone you have new messages waiting to be picked-up on the server. Rather than having your iphone check on timed interval (10/15/20 minutes) and killing your battery to check constantly; it just grabs email when there are new messages.

I will assume the cell companies will be offering a service which will work to push the messages to your iphone. Nextel/sprint/tmobile .. etc all offer BIS (blackberry internet service) which is just there servers polling your accounts (pop3/imap) and creating a local copy then pushing it to your devices.