What is Push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sahni130, Oct 25, 2008.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

hello everybody!
    What is this "push notification" and why does everybody want it so much? What does it really do?

Thanks for answering my dumb questions.

2. Inukami macrumors 6502

I think it checks your email account or any account with messages every X minute and when it does, it i'll report it on the lil app icon if anything new happened.

i think...

3. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

something the iphone will only have with email :mad:

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

when you get mail or something the server that the mail provider uses (such as yahoo, or exchange) 'pushes' the data to your phone so you get it almost immediately. it doesnt check every minute or so.

5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

The Push Notification Service will allow apps to immediately get 1) a message like SMS does right now, 2) a sound pushed through (think AIM’s bing), or 3) a change in the app’s icon’s number count (like Mail).

The service works by keeping a direct connection between the phone and Apple’s servers, just like the do for MobileMe right now. Developers (essentially) will be able to send notifications to Apple’s servers, which sends notifications to your phone; the battery life should be relatively the same as if you use your iPhone with MobileMe’s push or Yahoo Mail’s push right now.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'll explain using e-mail first...

Let's say you want to check your e-mail. You have to go to the mail program and then mail asks Gmail if there's any mail and if Gmail has mail, you'll download it onto your iPhone. You can tell iPhone to check for mail (i.e. fetch mail) and iPhone polls the server for e-mail and if there's e-mail, you'll get it. You can fetch every 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. Obviously, you will want to fetch less often to save battery life.

With push, you don't have to poll the server. Whenever there is an e-mail, it gets "pushed" to your phone. No need to check. You will be notified.

Push email is not a problem for mail, though, since iPhone currently supports that. The problem is though, let's say you have an instant messaging program. When you press the home button, you basically quit the app. Palringo ( a free IM app) keeps you logged in for a few minutes but after that, you are disconnected. When push is enabled, you will be able notified any time you get a new IM message as opposed to going and checking the app manually. There are ways to get around the lack of push for IM apps (i.e. SMS notifications) but those arent' as good as push.

Apple promised this feature for September, and it's still not out, hence the commotion.

7. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I hope someone creates a server app that will enable push for normal POP3 accounts.... or even Windows Live. I wish Live was integrated (luckily I have a free "pro" account so I get POP3 with my Live account but I don't get push).

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Heh, good thing you have a Pro account. I know lots of angry people without pro accounts who have to use safari to get their email since forwarding doesn't work and they don't feel like paying for izzymail or whatever.

9. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Yeah.. I was looking into purchasing a Pro account, but I read on the Pro details that you can permanently keep your account.. and my school advertised that I could permanently keep my account so I decided to try POP3 on my iPhone for my school account... and it works. :)

10. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Hmmm, the Push function is still there? I thought Apple removed it from the SDK?

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Normally the phone has to fetch data, aka the phone has to send a message to the server where the data is located (ie Yahoo server) and ask the server if there is any new data (ie emails), and then the server will tell the phone if there are or aren't, and you'll subsequently receive a notification on your phone. This means that unless your phone is fetching data every second (which it cannot do) you won't be getting data notifications immediately, so you won't get your email instantly. Example: I might send you an email at 9:00, but your phone might only fetch data 15 minutes later, and so you'll receive it at 9:15. The only reason this works is because the phone is designed to pull (or request) data from the server at specific intervals (which you can change in your iPhone settings). The problem with pulling data is it uses more battery life.

Some people need their emails immediately (and can't afford to keep an application running the whole time to receive said emails): enter push. Push is simply the server (ie the Yahoo server) pushing a notification directly to your phone to tell your phone that there is new data. The push happens as soon as there is new data on the server. So, as soon as I send you an email (to your Yahoo email account - as per the example) at 9:00, you'll receive a push notification from the server on your phone instantly, because the server tells the phone there is data as soon as it receives the email. So if I send the email at 9:00, you'll get it at 9:00. Push still uses battery life, but the idea here is that you only get pushed data (and thus use battery life) when there is something there - so presumably it's worth the battery usage to see the email, whereas if you were pulling data from the server you might check every 15 minutes but only receive an email during the fourth 15 minute pull of the day - thus 3/4ths of the pulls were worthless and wasted battery life.

That's push for email. The push that mostly everyone is talking about lately is the inter-application push notification service. Basically, if you have an application like Facebook on your iPhone, you want Facebook to push data notifications to your phone. So for instance, if someone was trying to chat with you on Facebook chat, even if you're not in the application, your phone would still receive a notification informing you that in the Facebook app someone is trying to chat with you. Same principle as email (in that it's an instant push from the server), but the idea here is that even if you're not using the application you'll still have notifications pushed to your phone. The problem with push notifications for applications is they'll destroy your battery life, so Apple has to figure out the best way to do it, and users are probably going to have to turn some applications push notifications off (either to save battery life, or because they'll be come rather annoying constantly serving you notifications all the time).

I hope that helps you out.

12. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

If I sign up for MobileMe, does my email address have to say "@me.com" or can I use push with my Yahoo email. Basically, I just want to have push with my Yahoo email. What is the easiest way to do that? Thank you. :)

4G speeds; when push comes to shove.

13. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

No only your @me account will push.

Yahoo has it's own push service, but i heard it's not very reliable

14. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Are there any other options, or is that pretty much it?

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

There are lots of exchange style services, but I think they all cost money. Here is the thing though. Do you really NEED push? I know a lot of people want push for email, but is it actually essential that you get your emails instantly? I think most people would be better of getting their emails at set times anyway - studies have shown that push is more distracting and makes for less productivity because every time you get an email you stop doing what you were doing and read it. It's almost better to only have your phone (or computer for that matter) check for email every hour. That way it's less of a distraction. If you're dead set on push Me or Yahoo is probably your best choice, the latter of which is free. Also, Google will probably roll out a push service for the iPhone soon (as it has push for Android already).

16. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Thank you for the response. :)