What is quicklook?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corriewf, Apr 8, 2010.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Hey, what is Quick Look?

[​IMG]

Could that be a lock screen like notifications etc? I mean it does say Call Event Notification.

2. AppleHack23 macrumors member

On a Mac there's a feature called Quick Look, it shows you an enlarged picture of the application, and some information about it.

3. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

I was wondering this also and assumed it would be similar to Quick Look on a Mac, but I'm not sure how they would implement this on the iPhone. It would be great if this would finally mean lock screen notifications though.

4. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Good pickup. Didn't notice that. Wouldn't know what that is but your reasoning sounds logical.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

QuickLook also works great for files. I can't really see QuickLook being used for apps, sorry I just don't see it. For documents, yes, or even a lockscreen information "tab."

6. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

To show use of apps in Quick Look, and a demo for those who aren't familiar, here is a couple of images of quick look:

After selecting a file and pressing the spacebar, you will get a window like this:
    [​IMG]

Applications will give you name, version number, copyright info, and size:
    [​IMG]

Folders will give you name, size, and number of items:
    [​IMG]

Documents will give you a graphical preview of the document:
    [​IMG]

And images will give you a preview, and an option to open in iPhoto:
    [​IMG]
    (note the iPhoto icon at the bottom)

7. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't think anyone would need a preview for an app they installed. I just don't see it applicable. If you notice that each item on the list is linked to the item above it. Call event notification is close to Quick Look. Somehow I feel they are connected. Even IF quick look is used for email attachments etc, what other kind of call event notification could there be? They already use push so it would have to be a different notification. Could we possible be looking at a Quick Look styled lockscreen with a different call notification. Quite possible!

8. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

After seeing mickbab's post, I think it will be used to preview what apps may be contained in folders on the home screen.

9. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dream killer!

Well, it's quite possible it is used in an array of formats. The Call Event Notification is bugging me here. What could that be and how would that be linked? Even if not linked, what could it be?

10. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Keep in mind that the features that are shown in the picture are for developers to implement into their applications, NOT features in the new OS.

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

True, but they are also API's that Apple themselves use...

12. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

The documentation is limited on it at the moment but I believe it could be used in an app like QuickOffice. In a list of Docs the user could preview each doc before opening. I'm not 100% about that.

BTW, keep in mind that that slide is for the dev APIs not the 100 new end-user features.

13. jaykk macrumors 6502a

I don't know how they do it, quick looks for Mac is super fast in previewing PDF, Images, videos etc. It will be great to have it in iPhone, that way we can quickly glance over the document without opening each one of them. On a small screen, switching back and forth between apps is not that much fun.