What is Real Racing 3's Freemium model like?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by MartinAppleGuy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

What is Real Racing 3's Freemium model like? Do you still earn gold in races?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Id like to know too. I enjoy Real Racing 2 HD but am interested in the upgrade.

3. mwa Suspended

mwa

It's not really worth it. I downloaded RR3 when it first came, but the 3.x updates really shafted it as far as fun and playability goes. It's owned by EA, if that tells you anything.

The initial promise was that you could race any car (provided you had the game money), and the last updates have locked down every vehicle you actually want to drive. They introduced "Driver Points" which let you only do a couple time trial races, unless you conveniently decide to pay actual money for more. Cars will cost $300,000, and you earn like $3,000 or 4,000 a race, then have to pay & wait hours for repairs - unless you want to buy game coins to repair faster.

And if you spend money in the game, the amount of money you get for your real dollars has also been diminished.

The in-game AI drivers smash into you, and you get penalized for it so your winnings go down. They started using a stupid point system that locks you out of races unless you upgrade, repair times went through the roof while race winnings went way down.

It used to be so much fun, too. Now, to play the game and really enjoy it, you have to spend money. And for the money it takes to finish the game at a fun pace you could buy a top of the line XBox and Forza Motorsport.

/rant. I had been racing for months and then downloaded the update and it fried. Commenting in their forums doesn't do any good because the mods selectively delete threads they feel 'misrepresents the brand.' (some members have even been threatened with legal action for it). It's so awful Apple has given full refunds to players who have spent money and been stiffed by the update.

In short, RR3 is a terrific example of Freemium done horribly wrong.

4. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

That is awful to hear. You know what you could do; make a thread here or on apples forums to create a petition for people vote it 1* on the App Store, ask apple to remove it...

5. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

If it's any indication, the Real Racing 3 Forums have been closed (temporarily, for maintenance, says the website, but it's been months) following voluminous posts by many very disappointed users.

I think they've decided to make lots of money off a minority who can't or don't need to control their IAP spending.

6. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I really hate EA. New Battle Feild game for iOS coming, probably Freemium then :mad:

I think someone added it up that to buy one of the care in the game via in app purchase, would cost either £100 or £1000 (can't remember which).

7. MLAM macrumors regular

It was good until the v1.2 update came out then it ruined it with limiting cars, forcing to buy upgrades and reducing race winnings.

It's a great shame as it WAS a great game.

8. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it was. I got numerous hours of enjoyment out of it until I finally deleted it. It kept getting worse with each update. I feel bad for the folks at Firemint who had to watch all their good work (make that outstanding work) get sold out without having a say in the matter.

9. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

So, it appears that I'm not alone in how EA manages Real Racing.

It recently introduced a new track, Catalunya. Unfortunately you can't get to race it unless you've progressed far enough in the game.

When I started playing it you could buy cars of your choice. After an update suddenly those cars were no longer available.

And yes, the in app purchases are expensive for what you get.

As far as the actual game's quality goes, it's impressive. However, the driver AI needs a lot to be desired. Also, the physics model is lacking. For example, a car hits you from behind or tries to pass you, it slows you down, like you have the brakes on or that you're trying to tow it or something.

The latest update, according to the app details, was supposed to improve driver AI. But I can't see any difference.

As for spending any real dough in it, I've given up on that. I think that I spent about $20 on points and "R dollars" just so I could complete a series.

Finally, there are time trials which need points. You accrue a max of two points. Why they can't be "free" is beyond me. And with the update you can now see the top place getters for any track. I'm no F1 driver, but how some of the other drivers can lap Brands Hatch in 30 seconds is beyond me...

10. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

This game is a good example for Freemium done wrong.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

In fairness - The Freemium model was born from cheapskates who just couldnt find the balls to spend $4 to $6 bucks for a great app. So, instead, the apps are free.... except they really arent free and end up crippled or cost a lot to get anywhere. So, all those maroons who clamored for free games will spend 3x than what they'd have to if they would have just paid fairly for the app upfront.

Duh?

:rolleyes:

12. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

But why not have a paid for version of the game with more cars and tracks and no IAP. It is becasue EA eat money.

13. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I don't think you understand the economics of the "freemium" model. It has nothing to do with the fact that not enough people (balled or otherwise) are buying the product -- in general, that's just a matter of how good the game is, and pricing. It has everything to do with the fact that, for a given number of purchasers in the straight pay-to-play model, you can extract more money from them, in toto, with this pricing scheme.

The un-balled, BTW, play a very important role in this model. They're the ones who keep the game on top of the download charts to help bring in the ones with the big balls; the whiny kids who get their parents to spend inordinate amounts on IAP just to shut them up.