What is "refurbed" Macbooks / pros?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kinkokoro, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Kinkokoro macrumors member

I keep seeing the term, refurbs, mentioned. What is it? I also heard they had some sweet deals, where can I find the selection in which they exist?

Thanks

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

apple store. lower right under "Special Deals" or some such. or if you're lazy here

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Refurb is short for refurbished. They aren't new machines, but they work as good as new. On the Apple store do a search for Refurbished macbook or whatever it is you are looking for.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Go to the Apple Online Store, and look on the left sidebar. Scroll down and you'll see Refurbish Mac.

Refurb Macs are macs that were taken in within a certain about of time (less than 14 days?) and made all nice again by Apple. You may also get a free upgrade or so. The refurbs are cheaper than the regular new Macs.

Edit: Fast replies guys. :D Yeah, what they said.

5. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i got a refrubished MBP and it was as good as new. i really didnt see how it had been used at all.

6. beingme macrumors member

It's a used machine basically that was returned to apple, but they probably checked it to see if there was anything wrong with it.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Actually those are "refreshed" or returned machines. Refurbished machines are machines that have been repaired. While refurbs sometimes come with extra goodies they can also come with cosmetic blemishes which don't affect their performance. They are covered by the full Apple warranty.

8. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I think the "refurb" store has both "refurb" and "refreshed" items by your definition. You'd be hard pushed to determine the difference between one that was refreshed and one that was refurbished.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

That makes sense. I've only seen things marked as "refreshed" in the Apple stores (and generally only after Christmas).