What is saved in an iPhone backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Haephestos, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Haephestos macrumors regular

2. iKungFu macrumors newbie

iKungFu

Slow motion

Performed a backup last night during the 2.2.1 update. I have a lot of apps due to my job, but it took AGES! Also rendered iTunes completely unusable during the length of the backup which was less than fun.

How long does an average backup take anyone else? This was easily half an hour.

3. petemwah macrumors regular

not true, in the iphone BACKUP it stores the settings for your iphone/all your apps as well as notifying itunes what music/applications need to be on the iphone, but these are not stored in the backup, rather only a list of these is in the backup.

4. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Not everything is backed up.

I had my phone replaced shortly after I bought it, and when I restored the original settings to the new phone, I lost all my photos and all my notes. I don't think I had the calendar set up yet, but losing the notes really annoyed me.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Notes are stored in the backup... as well as CAMER ROLL photos. It does not store synced photos and it does not store the applications themselves, but it restores 3rd party application data as well as stock application data (such as notes). Your backup must have been corrupt if you lost your notes.

6. yalag macrumors 65816

Application data is probably what the backup is mostly made of, that means anything that is saved by your apps are copied over to your desktop each time you sync.

7. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Hmmm....I don't think ,my backup was corrupted, but it is possible. This was also before the 2.2 software upgrade, so maybe this funtionality was added then.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Nope... the iPhone backed up notes since day one. Trust me, I've done MANY MANY restores and my notes are always there unless I set it up as a new phone.