What is series 0

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shenfrey, Feb 21, 2017.

1. shenfrey, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

shenfrey macrumors 68000

I thought their were just two versions, the original (series 1) which is what I at least thought I had bought the day Apple Watch came out, and the new series two watch, which was announced late last year.

What is series 0?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The original Apple watch is colloquially known as Series 0 because Apple announced 2 new models last year: The series 1 (which is basically the same as the original but with a faster processor) and the Series 2 (which adds GPS)

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, uh oh so my Apple Watch is even slower than series 1.

I just can't keep up

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

In addition to the Nike Apple Watch, which actually makes three versions available.

Also, aside from the GPS in Series 2 are other features you didn't mention, is 50 Meter Water Resistance, twice the brightness of Series 1/First Gen (1000 Nits) and a larger battery.

5. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Well the Nike Apple Watch is just a Series 2 Sport with a special band and face
    On those terms you could also say the Hermes is a different version

And I was wondering where you were, you changed your icon!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That tends to be the case when new technology is replacing older models. The speed is only noticeable when executing apps and a few other tasks. I think for the most part, its not noticeable.

7. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

I say the ridiculous wait times for Siri is noticeable
    Practically unusable

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use Siri, and I seldom reboot the watch, so for basic usage, including exercising, I don't think it matters.

9. Julien, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Or is it 5?:eek: Of course Apple calls them S2s.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    Siri iis actually faster to initiate than on the iPhone since you don't have to wait. I guess you mean it is or can be slower to respond back. However for doing things like setting a timer or adding Reminders the :apple:Watch is much faster. I have a hard time waiting on Siri to beep on the iPhone. I wish you could just say it and not get cut off like on the :apple:Watch.

10. Relentless Power, Feb 21, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The Way Apple labeled the current Apple Watch was confusing to many. On these forums, most here can differentiate the titles for the most part. Perfect example of this to clear the confusion for the OP on what is "Series 0" in this thread.

But for those who are not familiar with the Apple Watch or are new, there was confusion that Series 1 was the first Gen Watch or vice versa. I think they could have opted for different title sequences in some respects. And then if rumors are true, Series 3 is fall 2017.

11. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Really hard to explain to others how my watch is not a Series 1, but not a Series 2 either
    Everyone thinks the Series 1 is the 1st Gen

Q: Is that the new Apple Watch
    A: No it's the old one
    Q: So the Series 1?
    A: No not that either

And a lot of people don't know Series 1 only comes in aluminium,

12. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

I never understood that also. My watch arrived via UPS mid June 2015 after a long wait (one day before the watch hit physical Apple Stores..go figure lol) - I don't even recall when Series 1 came out. I suspect mine is "0" It still works, looks great, no problems.

I'm now curious to "Series 3" - If they offer a larger size, 45-48mm..of course faster speed. That is a big selling point for me.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Lets not forget the iPhone 4 was .....well actually the only iPhone with the correct/same generation number & nomenclature.;) You may could also include the 3GS.

14. chuyn macrumors 6502

You don't need to wait for a beep on the phone. I can just say "hey siri, set a timer for 5 min". I don't need to "hey Siri..." beep.. "set a timer for 5 min".

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Series 3, rumored this fall is likely minor improvements. What you're looking for, is technically due to fall in line in Apple's 18 month Watch refresh, which is March 2018.

And a faster processor is usually always upgraded when a new product releases. A larger display would be a request of mine as well. I would like to see a 44/46MM.

16. gigaguy macrumors 65816

If you are buying used online be very careful. Unless you can see the SERIES 1 label assume it is 1st generation.
    I wonder if Apple did this to try to confuse buyers and keep the Series 0 in play longer. I think Apple had to know naming a 2nd gen model that looks like the original, 'Series 1', would confuse casual buyers, crazy.

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's a valid point. If you're purchasing a used Apple Watch off eBay, I know other forum members mentioned that the seller has construed the Apple Watch first generation with Series one.

Although, I do highly doubt Apple did anything intentional to try to create any type of confusion for potential buyers from the first generation watch from Series1/2. I think that's just the title of sequences they decided to go with. Also, you do remember the first generation Apple Watch is no longer in production, so there would be no actual benefit to Apple for trying to attempt to do anything like you stated.

18. gigaguy, Feb 21, 2017

gigaguy macrumors 65816

Well, maybe unintentially, I think it keeps the orig Watch in effect, more viable than it would have been since it is less differentiated from two confusingly named 2nd gen models that look exactly the same. There is a sizeable used market for these, many feel they are overpriced new.

With iPad, the original and the iPad 2 were more easily differentiated by casual consumers due to a logical name change and new physical features.
    Minor points i grant you..

19. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

What incentive does Apple have to do this though? They don't sell the original (Series 0) watch anymore and make nothing off of resales. The Series 1 is demonstrably better than the original watch. It is actually more in Apple's interest to have people not confuse the Series 1 and its upgraded processor with the original, since that would drive people to buy a new watch from them rather than a used one from someone else.

I think this is just another example of how confusing Apple's product naming has become under Tim Cook. Keep in mind that Apple's current iPad lineup is: iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 9.7", and iPad Pro 12.9". If you didn't follow Apple regularly or hang out on sites like this, but instead were just a casual consumer, would you have any clue which of these products was the best just from the names?

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You're correct. There is zero reason for Apple
    To try and create confusion towards the consumer. Not to mention, the first Generation Watch is not in production and holds very little resale value.

I do agree the titles for the Apple Watch are slightly confusing with some not understanding the differences between the first Gen Watch and Series 1. Some call the First Gen Watch Series 1, which Doesn't help either.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

And back when the iPhone 3G came out people would have a 2G for sale even though there was no such thing. I think Apple just picks the nomenclature it likes at the time and the hell with what people think.

22. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

watchOS 3.2 beta has very noticeable speed increases for series 0. I am running it on both my watches. Siri especially is quicker. Don't write off series 0 yet until the final version of watchOS 3 is released. I'm very impressed with the difference and I am one to notice every dropped frame or glitch. Yes, I'm sure series 1 and 2 are faster but from what I have read here only about 20% faster in everyday usage. I'm sure 3.2 will optimise series 1 and 2 also.

23. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I agree. Siri is still very responsive on the Watch. I don't really have too many issues with dictation or deciphering. And it certainly has improved with watchOS 3. I think one of my highlights for WWDC is watchOS four. Really looking forward to seeing what Apple
    Is bringing this year.

24. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Fingers crossed it still works for watch 0. When I bought the watch at launch, I actually thought perhaps it wouldn't have a yearly release like other products, but now we have had so far 2 new Apple watches a year it has obviously shook me back into reality. I was stupid for thinking this I know, after all if there is one thing everybody can agree on, it's that Apple knows how to make money.

25. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I think I look forward more to new software every year rather than new devices. If series 0 does not get watchOS 4 and the new features are enough to make me upgrade my Watch this year, I'll do so. If series 0 is included I may well put a purchase off until 2018. I'm pretty sure it will get watchOS 4 though given Apple's history. Whether Apple leave out new features remains to be seen. I'd rather have a usable watchOS 3 than a slow watchOS 4 on series 0.