What is SHSH?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Steve-Jobs, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

HI,
    I've been reading about this SHSH thing but i didn't really get it. So i have an iPhone 4 jailbroken 4.1 (8B117) -i don't know what those numbers mean in the brackets- so now when 4.2 releases do i have to backup my phone with this SHSH thing? or do i need to wait for a 4.2 jailbreak? Or what does that SHSH thing do, so when i upgrade to 4.2 having SHSH saved will allow me to jailbreak again? What!!!
    God i love my iPhone but this jailbreaking stuff drives me crazy!

Thanks

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

how can Steve Jobs be against Jailbreaking if he doesn't even understanding the basics. Steve I know you hate google or use Bing but try shsh here is a little for you.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-news/what-the-heck-is-ecid-shsh/

you dace you shsh 4.1 before 4.2 in case you need to go back from 4.2 back to 4.1 with out preserving ECID you are sol if you need to go back.

3. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

that was quick... thanks for the reply. Trust me man i've been searching google, bing etc. but it's all making it more confusing!
    So what i understand here is when 4.2 releases i have to backup my phone with tinyumbrella so if i hate 4.2 i can go back to 4.1 whenever i want to.
    Is that also means i don't have to back up all my apps and music? or is that a different story!

Thanks man...

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It will also save your old-current baseband so if you ever need to unlock it in the future, it will be available to you so you can update to the latest iOS version while still retaining the old(unlockable) modem firmware.

5. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

thanks for the reply.. So lets say i get SHSH and updated to 4.2 wanted to unlock it again do i need to get back to my old firmware. Man i'm sooo confused now...
    Ok here is a summary of what i understood:

1- get SHSH with cydia tonite (will that allow me backup apps and music)
    2- when 4.2 releases tomorrow, wait for the 4.2 jb release.
    3- when 4.2 jb release, jb to 4.2 and if i hate it go back to 4.1 whenever i want to
    4- I'm travelling overseas for 2 months next year, i want to use my phone there so i need an unlock. To unlock my phone, do i have to go back to 4.1 or fake my firmware that i'm using the latest version?

I read in an other thread, they say you have to get SHSH to cydia and ECID to apple servers, what is that ECID thing, is it like an official apple restore or back-up server?

also do i have to SHSH my phone before 4.2 release or can i do it whenever i want to?

Thanks

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The SHSH will only allow you to take the firmware back. You said you will need an unlock next year, at this time 4.1 baseband 2.10 cannot be unlocked and since 4.2 will have an updated baseband you probably want to wait and let the dust settle before updating.

Saving your shsh today with Tiny umbrella but do not update to 4.2 until there is an understanding about the new baseband and if any crashes that the DEV team have work on it or not. Also wait for an update on pwnage tool which will allow firmware updates without baseband updates.

Read a lot and do very little is always the best policy. The ECID is an identity tag on each iphone the SHSH is unique to each iphone and is based on the ECID.

7. labman, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

labman macrumors 604

labman

shsh it's self will not preserve Baseband and baseband can not be downgraded tools like Tiny Umbrella and PwnageTools or Redsn0w biggest mistake people make is upgrading and also upgrading baseband!

btw my search that I used was SHSH (just saying)

8. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thanks for that... the first thing i'll do tonite is to save my SHSH to my computer, or do you think i should save it to Cydia, does it make any difference?
    And wait for a 4.2 jb. So when i need to unlock the phone there'll be an update for 4.2 without updating the baseband...

thank you so much, you guys been really helpful, everything start making sense now...

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

I use make it easy in Cydia I also use Tiny Umbrella search for it to save the shsh info to my computer. Better safe then sorry I feel! they are both free any way. should take less then 5 minutes total.

10. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

ok, i reckon i'll do both then.. another dumb question, how to i save SHSH to cydia? see the attached image below that's what i see on the top when i open cydia... is that means i already saved it?

thanks

[​IMG]

11. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

I'm trying to save my SHSH to tinyumbrella, so when i open the program i get an error says:

What is that mean?

Thanks

ps: I'm a mac user.

12. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

If cydia shows your SHSH blobs then they are already save to cydia. If you are not restoring your iPhone then don't worry just hit save SHSH. Try updating to the latest version of Tiny Umbrella and see if it gets rid of the error.

13. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

I found a solution to that error, if you disable web sharing from system preferences and sharing. it works. Now its saving SHSH. Is that picture attached above means Cydia saved shsh to its server?
    Thanks

Edit: How would i know it's been saved? it doesn't open a pop up box or anything.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

In Cydia's main screen, look at the top for SHSH and iOS version numbers. Those version numbers indicate the saved blobs you have.
    If you're not willing to make the effort to read the screen, you shouldn't try jailbreaking yet. Unless you're George W Bush, the world isn't going to always present you with a pop up screen that has the answer.

15. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

If I knew that means my shsh has been saved to cydia I wouldn't ask that question. And I have seen couple of tutorials about tinyumbrella that there's a pop up window shows u shsh has been saved and a request is sent to cydia which I haven't received that message. No I'm not George Bush, but thank you for telling me that those numbers are my saved shsh.

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You do not start TSS server to save SHSH. You only need TSS server when you are restoring.

17. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Is this constant linking to your web site breaking the rules?

Advertising/soliciting. Using the forums for advertising, site or product promotion, or for business deals and offers. See the MacRumors About page if you want to buy advertising at the site. You may not make posts to promote commercial, personal, or not-for-profit websites, products, or services. Threads will be deleted if their purpose is to advertise, announce, or promote products, services, or organizations, build traffic at other websites, solicit donations, votes, or participants for surveys, contests, or product testing, carry out business activities including employment requests/offers, or other similar purposes that do not benefit our forum community. Memberships created solely for such purposes will be banned. Exception: Developers of App Store apps and Mac software are afforded special privileges, including certain posting of product promotions. See Guidelines for Software Developers

18. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

No.

I link his tutorials all the time as I have used them myself. They are quite useful and well written. Hackthatphone is not creating a thread, but responding to a thread with useful info, which just happens to be on Hackthatphone's own site is all.

19. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

hi,
    Thanks all for your help.. I saved SHSH to cydia as you can see from the pic above, also saved it to TU.
    But SHSH makes sense now... So is backing up all your apps and music a different story?

20. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Does saving SHSH to TU saves your BB as well? and i can keep my old BB if i want to unlock my phone in the future?
    thanks

21. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

For non-Mac users, tiny umbrella gives people the ability to preserve a baseband that can be unlocked--at least for 4.1. However, I wouldn't assume that'll be true in the future. You would have to keep up on these boards for that info.
    The tiny umbrella baseband trick only works for iPhone 4, not the 3GS or 3G.
    If you have a Mac, it's easier to preserve the baseband with Pwnage.

22. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thanks for the reply.. I'm a mac user. I don't think i'll have problem when 4.2 JB releases, I'm sure everyone will post heaps of videos and tutorials about Jb'ing and keeping the old BB..