What is Skype?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rph105, Jan 19, 2008.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

I've been forced to look into skype, t-mobile are bumping up the 5 day pass to £12.50 soon, and i cant afford to pay them £12.50 every 5 days, ****ing bastards, so I'm looking into skype, or if anyone knows of any plans with unlimited minutes to t-mobile or any other network?

So the question i pose is, What is Skype?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And you've been to Skype's website to read about it, ya?

http://www.skype.com/

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Skype won't be able to replace your cellphone. It's mostly used on the computer. Though you can buy Skype mobile phones that you can use with wifi hotspots.

4. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Skype has been a Godsend! I've been using it since arriving in London on Wednesday, and it's been so easy to use to call home. I can call my family cheap, and I bought a phone number so others can call me from their mobiles/landlines. Connection has been great each time!

5. aosman macrumors 6502

You can also use skype for call forwarding, so that other skype users can call your cell. I find that amazingly practical

6. LiveForever macrumors 6502

Skype is brilliant. We now use it for all our overseas (which is a lot with familly and freinds in another country) and long distance calls. We buy credit and use skype out and hardly ever use skype to skype as only my brother would be sitting in front of a pC (or mac).

No, it comes into its own with sypeout so you can ring any phone. To call the UK, US, Aus Europe is only like 1.5pence a minute or something.

20 pounds of credit easily last 3 months.

We also have a logitech skype phone which is just like a cordless phone connected by wifi link to a USB box on our PC.

Its saved us 100's if not 1000's of pounds. Can't speak too highly of it.

It also keeps a history of your calls so you can see how long and to who you talked to.

Yes teh forwarding thing is brilliant so if you go overseas you can divert your number to an overseas phone or mobile (at no extra cost to a skypeout call so a the same 1.5 ish p a minute)

You can buy telephone numbers in major cities so you can have anumber say in London, Sydney NY etc so people can call you from that country and only pay local rate (if they are put off ringing overseas and don't have skype)

Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But you need an internet connection to use Skype. Even if you get Skype on a mobile phone, you'd need to pay your mobile phone network for internet access fees, which are typically more than call fees.

It's great if you can find Wifi spots, though. Of course, if you can, then even a laptop can do the job. You don't even need to buy a Skypephone or other things.

I may be mistaken regarding this, but if it really could just replace a mobile phone, everyone and their dog would be using it, as it only costs around 1.8 Euro cents per minute.

8. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

I just saw one at Wal-Mart

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Skype really is brilliant in how well it scales up. It's a very usable text IM engine, it's the best AV chat tool, it's a good consumer, SOHO, or even corporate telecom tool. Amazing that a single product can work so well at so many levels.

It also runs well on Mac, Windows, Linux, and some mobile devices, and even standalone devices.

And sad that, after having had a Skype account for well over a year, I have hundreds of people on buddy lists and not a one is on my Skype list.... :rolleyes:

10. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

Skype is great. you could use it as a homephone, but you won't be able to dail emergency numbers. It's really great and cheap.
    i use it to call and textmessage my boyfriend who lives in another country. A textmessage to Denmark is 3cents, a call 20cents per minute
    it's probably the most profitable if you want to call to foreign countries.

11. rph105 thread starter macrumors 6502

rph105

Ok well is it best to get a skype landline for me and my girl, i live in the uk and she does too, weve both got wireless internet in out rooms??

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Skype is a thing that inspires great fear in the hearts of graduate students and post docs in my lab, who run and cower from the ability of our frequently-out-of-town adviser to have chats with us from afar. Skype is a thing I don't mind, because I don't mind having conversations with him, and if I can make him happy with this small thing, perhaps I can get concessions on other, more important concerns.

Now, that is an example of totally not answering your question. But it does raise a larger philosophical point: How much communication is too much.