What IS snow leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamvk, Nov 19, 2008.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Quick Mac noob questions. Is Snow Leopard a whole new OS, or just a large update like a service pack? Also If New iMacs are released alongside Snow Leopard in 2009, would the iMacs come with Snow Leopard?

Thanks for help.

2. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

3. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

New Macs come with the latest version of OS X. 10.6, Snow Leopard, is the next iteration of OS X. It's an incremental OS upgrade.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Snow leopard is a whole new OS, however you probably wont see major interface changes, or features... Instead you will see increased stability, less of a harddrive footprint, better performance, and in time more robust application. Snow Leopard is the OS which will be like the "spring cleaning" of the OS.

and all macs will come with Snow Leopard when it is released...
    If the mac is already boxed up, it would be a "drop in disk" which you would then have to install when you set up the iMac.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

any intel mac ( and most ppc macs) will run snow leopard. probably run better than leopard on same hardware as its goal is for optimization

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thanks everyone for responses. This has me more happy about buying a Mac in Jan 2009. :)

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Snow Leopard won't be out in January. If you buy in January, you'll get Leopard and will have to purchase Snow Leopard separately.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

theres rumours about a Q1 release. we. just. dont. know.

9. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

great signature. ;)

10. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ya, but it sounds like Snow Leopard will need less computer power. My fear was that I would buy a Leopard machine, and when SL was released my Mac JUST would meet the requirements, and I would need to update my Mac.

11. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

You don't NEED to update your Mac. You'll just WANT to.;)

12. wheelhot macrumors 68020

nah, don't worry, Leopard is still capable running on 5 year old macs (if Im not mistaken) so when SL is released, it will be very capable of running on a Leopard Mac.

And like vivid says, another reason to hate Apple is cause they make you want to upgrade your notebook/desktop. For me I will only upgrade once USB3.0, Intel Nehalem or whatever, FW3200 (I wonder if it will see the light and day) is released. ;)

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Actually, a 6.5 year old Power Mac G4 is capable of running Leopard without modification... you just needed to have bought the fastest one.

14. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Still I really hope updated Macs come out January 2009, or else when I buy a Mac in January and 2 months later a new Mac comes out I'd be mad.......Actually.....How are Apples returns policies? If I were to buy an iMac then 2 months later a new one is released, could I return it and get a new one?

15. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

you have 2 weeks to return it.

16. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Unless it is released at MWSF...

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'd much rather it not, you know? Steve said "a year from now" in June at WWDC. That means WWDC 2009. I don't want Snow Leopard before even STEVE thought it would be out. I'd prefer it if they took those six months to work every last kink out before releasing the most stable OS of our time.

I want Snow Leopard to completely trash Vista in terms of performance (oh, it will), stability (if they take the extra time), and usability (done and done).

Snow Leopard will be more than even Windows Se7en is promising to be, so let's not rush it, shall we?

Or maybe you're happy with how the MobileMe launch went.

18. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

For the most part, I am! :D

I had no problems with MMe and I'm planning on zero-issues with 10.6 at MWSF 2009! Seriously.

19. kolax macrumors G3

Steve said a year from now with no actual official release just so what happened with Leopard's delayed release wouldn't happen to Snow Leopard - just giving them extra time that they may or may not need.

Leopard already trashes Vista. The MobileMe launch was/still is a disaster because Apple (and Steve openly admitted) tried to do too much at once with all the new launches and underestimated the transition. Snow Leopard is different because they are refining Leopard, not adding new features like going from Tiger to Leopard.

In saying that, Leopard works a treat for me and I'm in no rush for Snow Leopard. But I do have a fascination with having the latest and greatest ;)