What is so bad about iOS 7 Music app?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ranyodh, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ranyodh macrumors newbie

I see so many people complaining about how iOS 7 ruined Music app and it is the worst thing since slice bread.

It seems to be an alright music app, simple and easy to use.

Other than blinding white and Artist view not having collapsed albums, what other thing do you hate about it (comparing with iOS 6)?

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Other then the blinding white nothing is wrong with it. The fact of life here is people like to bit** about stuff...

3. white4s macrumors 68000

yup i have zero problems with it

it's because these apple boys bitch about evvvvvverything

4. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Cannot shuffle by genre, artist, or album. Those are my main caveats. Some minor ones include smaller album art on 3.5" devices but Apple is focusing on 4" so I'm not too surprised that the 3.5" devices got the short end of the stick (same with lock screen). Also cannot delete albums. Some early impression of iOS 8 indicate that one can shuffle by genre, artist, and album and allowing one to delete albums so I'm pretty hype for the new iOS 8 fixing those issue.

5. crookadile macrumors regular

Collapsed Albums for me is a must to end the endless amount of scrolling.
    For now I am using Lagu, I really would like to ditch it and use the stock app.
    But until collapsed albums is reintroduced I'm sticking with Lagu.

6. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Winamp was a better music player in 1999? What do I win for answering ?

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

My main problem is that the controls are so closely spaced together now, that I have trouble rating my music without changing the track or skipping in the song.

8. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Nothing is really “wrong” with it. However, if you have multiple albums from one artist it becomes hard to find a specific song unless you search for it by the song section or know what album the song is in. A disadvantage of searching for the song by that section is because if you want to listen to other songs, that are not on the same album, you cannot. Therefore, you have to search again, and again, and again. Also, in the old app you were able to go to the artist tab, select artist, and then view all songs in alphabetical order regardless of what album the song was in. You could also view one specific album at a time. Now, you don’t have the option to view all songs in alphabetical order. The songs are automatically grouped by album in release date order. This is a pain in the a**. Who remembers what specific song is on what album and what year the album was released? Not I! All I ask apple to do is change the way the artist view section works and restore it back to it’s old format. If that is changed, I think the music app would be an allstar app!

9. BklynApple macrumors newbie

lock screen

You can't skip back to shuffled songs in the lock screen. Well, you can 10% of the time.

10. Dented macrumors 6502a

The artist view could be improved I agree, but in most other ways it's better as far as I'm concerned. Certainly it's less buggy than the IOS 6 version, which seemed unable to remember where I was in any playlist (including a shuffle) and kept skipping back several songs and repeating them constantly. I also prefer the IOS 7 lockscreen just for the fact that the controls are there with one push of the home button rather than two.

The tiled album art view is a lot more useful than the endless scrolling album-by-album in coverflow too.

11. me7 macrumors regular

The scroll-heavy artist view is so bad, it just shouldn't happen to the company that invented the iPod. I get the impression that they didn't remember to test it with more than just a few albums in the device.

12. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

13. afsnyder macrumors 65816

How many albums and songs do you have from one artist? The most I have is 4 albums and around 30 total songs. Doesn't seem like much of a deal breaker. I can always just search the specific song I'm looking for.

I suppose if you have an alternative, there's no reason to stick with a slight annoyance.

----------

I just shuffled an album, skipped forward a bunch then went to lock screen to check. I'm able to skip back... hmm.

----------

I just shuffled an album, skipped forward a bunch then went to lock screen to check. I'm able to skip back... hmm.

14. crookadile macrumors regular

AC/DC 17 Albums, 178 songs
    Scroll Scroll Scroll.

15. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Wow. Sorry!

16. me7 macrumors regular

Black Sabbath, 165 Songs
    Scroll Scroll Scroll

Queen, 172 Songs
    Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll

Devin Townsend, 183 songs
    Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll

Judas Priest, 185 songs
    Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll

The Beatles, 193 Songs
    Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll

Dream Theater, 280 Songs (including some live albums)
    Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll

...and before someone says "It's your own fault for having a large collection", Apple sells a 64GB iPod touch specifically targeted at people like me. Prior versions of the music app worked just fine with ANY amount of songs.

17. crookadile macrumors regular

Nothing to be sorry for mate. We all have opinions.
    The stock app is ok for you but not for me. At least until they hopefully fix it.

----------

May I suggest Lagu (free) it's almost exactly like the old music app.

Oh, and may I suggest some antiseptic cream for the blister on your finger from all that scrolling. ;)

18. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

It's not that bad, but it could do with some improvements

• Too much white
      no Smart Playlists
      No option to view rest of the album in the iTunes Store
      No equalizer settings
      Better UI, like the Remote app

19. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Exactly, having 298 albums from 204 Artist is a pain to scroll through.

20. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

My main gripes have been listed already, however one missing feature that would make it a lot better for me (as well as fixing all the above) would be the "Play next" functionality from iTunes.