What Is So "Secret" About Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bazzy, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Bazzy, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

I am not clued up on the technical side of how computers work - just your average ignorant person that uses a computer. This is a long post/rant so please forgive any frustrations you might experience in it's content/naivety!

Apple's Time Capsule has been out a number of years now & there still seems to be no third party brand or company that offers the same - ability to do wireless back ups - not even in the massive PC market. Also, the options to emulate at present seem very weak & unreliable or else, everyone would be utilising them by now.

In an industry where almost any new trend is copied or imitated almost immediately, why has no one else been able to offer a suitable Time Capsule alternative or option? The market is absolutely massive is it not?

I mean, look at almost anything in the computer or electronic world that is new or revolutionary & there seems to be by default, a massive range of alternative after market options available within months. Look at the Walkman, MP3 Players, Ipod, Mobile Phones, Software imitations etc. Even after the iPad was launched, we are now (or soon will be) seeing a huge range of similar products from a number of other brands - most even look almost identical. It seems that the Computer/Electronics market entirely depends on this format of "copy & produce" almost in order to survive otherwise many of the brands we see today would most probably go out of business overnight? Remember the market is extremely predatory and heavily dependant on copying products to create a larger choice & stiffer competition. Companies are regularly infringing copyrights & patents (including Apple) to get a share of the market & usually settle years later in out of court settlements - it's all part & parcel of the way big business is globally done these days it seems. (the Chinese for example, will usually flood the world with similar, cheaper products as history has shown & they seem to have very little respect for things like patents or copyrights).

Why then, has no one from the thousands of companies out there, been able to come out with their own Time Capsule type of product? TC probably utilises some sorts of wireless standards that are universally dictated by authorising bodies so Apple cannot possibly have exclusivity to them alone & nor do I believe that only Apple can have some sort of special "Mojo" that works in the airwaves that only they know about & no one else can figure out?

So many high tech companies out there that spend tens of millions in R&D to capture whatever paltry market share they can & also concentrating on the next cutting edge products the markets are ready to bare. They too, like Apple, must have some extremely smart & clever people - so why can't they come up with a Time Capsule of their own?

We all know that reverse engineering always happens between competing companies so Apple's competitors must have figured out how Time Capsule works years ago. How comes they have stood still all these years & allowed a monumentally massive market to slip through their fingers? Collaborations happen regularly in any business sector - Just imagine the hundreds of millions of PC owners out there who are a potential market for Microsoft to create their own version of "Time Machine" and hardware companies to make the "Time Capsule"? I am surprised that even Apple has not exploited this and developed something for both the software & hardware sectors under licence - they would be raking it in would they not?

Does Apple's Time Capsule have some sort of "Alien/Starfleet" technology that is simply not available to all of the other super geniuses that work for all the rest of the world's high tech companies? I just cannot believe that after so many years, a massive & profit hungry, ruthless market(s) would still not see the potential of capitalising on the Time Capsule approach of Apple & bombard us with alternatives - they seem to have copied most of everything else Apple have ever done so why have they let this one alone?

Obviously I am missing something so, someone, please explain it to me?!

Bazzy!

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Well for one, there is not a unified (or even close) equivalent of Apple's Time Machine program, which simplifies the process exponentially.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

IIRC, Time Machine uses a specific protocol. Not to mention the fact that it is a specific tool for a specific purpose. I would imagine that if another company created a router with a built in hard drive for use as Time Machine, Apple would sue them out of existence. Many NAS devices and OS'es have Time Machine support built in.

4. DanielCalladine macrumors member

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I've been using a Windows Home Server machine to do wireless TM backups of my MBP and wired backups of my MP for more than a year. WHSv2 supports TM backups and I expect SBS7 will support this functionality as well. And as far as I can tell, most of the current crop of NAS devices support TM backups.

So yes, you are missing something.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't think there's a secret at all. It's just that not many people are willing to spend several hundred dollars on an external harddrive, wired or wireless. Time Capsule isn't exactly the top accessory for mac owners.

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I can buy a router for 50 bucks, and an external hard drive for 80 dollars (1TB). Much cheaper than the 350$ they ask for the Time Capsule in Canada...

I guess it wouldn't sell very well in the PC world, given the fact that most PCs sold are worth less than a thousand dollars (which is the base price for macs).

8. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

It's only the device they haven't copied. I'm part of the team that runs backups where I work, and what the enterprise software is capable of is easily better than Time Machine.