What is SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raptorstv, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

I hear it all the time but I am clueless of what it is... Can anybody explain?

2. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Solid State Drive. Flash memory.
    Since the data does not need to be read off a rotating disc the speeds are much faster and it is much more durable than a traditional HDD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ssd

3. justperry, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's storage on a chips instead of on a optical harddisk, overall much faster than conventional harddisks.

So, instead of having mechanical disks rotating inside the enclosure there are memory chips inside.
    Conventional disks can be damaged much easier by shocks, HDD are a bit like an old fashioned record player, if you hit it the needle hits the record and you hear a screeching noise, if this happens to a HDD it will be permanently damaged but there are sensors inside to prevent this.

SSD don't have any moving parts in them and are much better.Edit: And more expensive/Less cheap.

----------

[/COLOR]

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

The future...and what everyone else said before me.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Special School District (SSD) is a nationwide leader in providing special education services and technical education. They are also a world leader in the burgeoning field of Acronym Misappropriation... :D

6. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

SSD stands for Spherically Structured Dilythium. It's a materials technology, one from a long line of such, that has been harvested from an alien spacecraft which crashed in New Mexico in 1947.

Initially used only in military applications, since the early 2000s, government scientists have been making SSD available to private companies for consumer use. Now days, computer manufacturers - and especially Apple - have been harnessing it to make their systems faster and smaller.

Is it safe? We just don't know.

7. MrKing macrumors newbie

MrKing

This. Having a SSD with your macOS on it means bringing your boot time down to 15 secs or less. Faster loading time for applications installed on the SSD.

If you work with large Incompressible data files and heavy apps, you may want to consider getting a SSD. It will make your machine work much faster.

8. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

9. MrKing macrumors newbie

MrKing

OWC .. waaay overpriced! Get a Samsung 830 ssd instead, it's actually what Apple put in their new macbooks now. I own one myself, it's stable and fast.

10. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Just a quick example, not an endorsement, though I like OWC... :D

11. MrKing macrumors newbie

MrKing

12. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Seven segment display! How much cooler would the MBP be with some of those! :D

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The OP's question has been answered in post #2 and this thread will continue to attract off topic posts so I'm locking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.