What is SSH and Processes in the SBSettings?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Norinion, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Norinion macrumors regular

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

SSH - secure shell - allows you basically to remotely log into your phone and manipulate your files. Its how a lot of people edit themes etc.

Processes - basically like windows task manager - you can kill hanging apps, or just to free memory.

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I'm guessing the OP has been afraid to press that processes button! As mentioned above, it is very much like a simplified Task Manager. Go ahead and push the button and you'll get a list of what's running. Don't worry, you can close that back down without doing anything else. Very safe. (and useful).

4. musicmax macrumors member

Is it possible to default SSH to OFF on reboot?

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I don't believe it is possible, nor is it desirable. Given that SSH may be your only avenue to fix your phone should you get into a "boot loop", I would never recommend having it default to off on startup. Too many of us have thanked our lucky stars to have SSH available when the phone didn't fully boot.

Just be sure to change your root and mobile password and you'll be fine. Nothing to worry about here.

6. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

If a person is wanting to make sure sshd is secure, then generate a private key and disallow password based authentication in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config. This is what I do, and it allows me access into the device, but keeps people from brute forcing passwords.

At the minimum, set the root and mobile passwords to something really long (greater than 20 characters.) This will go a good way in stopping brute force ssh password guessing.

Of course, clicking off ssh after a reboot doesn't hurt either, but it is good to know that if it is on, it is well secured.