Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RHD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
London
What is syslogd? Why is it using half my system and slowing down my render program to practically a standstill when I'm trying to work, and how do I stop it?

Attachments

• syslodg.jpg
    syslodg.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3,010

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
That logs system activity to a log file. I'd check out /var/log/messages and see what is going on.

robertdb

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Syslog logs system messages

Hi,

syslog is a facility to capture all logs generated. The logs are stored in /var/log, so open a Terminal, do "sudo su -" enter your password and enter "ls -rtl /var/log" to see what file was modified recently.

You can enter a "tail -f /var/log/system.log" (or any other logfile) to see the lines added there.

Likely some application is trying to tell you something.

Regards,

Robert de Bock.

RHD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
London
Hi,

syslog is a facility to capture all logs generated. The logs are stored in /var/log, so open a Terminal, do "sudo su -" enter your password and enter "ls -rtl /var/log" to see what file was modified recently.

You can enter a "tail -f /var/log/system.log" (or any other logfile) to see the lines added there.

Likely some application is trying to tell you something.

Regards,

Robert de Bock.

Hum.

Well it's going to have to find another way...

Apple's help desk, which I never use but I was desperate, told me (eventually, they were a bit bemused) to delete the plist and restart which has worked. For now, but I bet it will be back.

Next time I might venture into Terminal as you suggest but these things invariably happen when I don't have time to play and Terminal always makes me nervous in case I get an apostrophe in the wrong place and accidentally delete everything off the machine.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.