What is taking up all my RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Oolongmen, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Oolongmen macrumors newbie

I'm not running anything besides MSN, iTunes, and FF (i closed this for the screenshot) and a few background apps... but my RAM usage is close to 2.8GB out of 4GB. What gives?

Attached Files:

2. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Whats the up time on it? Sometimes on mine if I leave it on for a couple days and use a ton of programs it will keep them in ram even if they aren't active, I guess so they load faster next time I use them. Try a restart an see if that fixes it.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I don't know the terminology too well, but I've seen this discussed before. Basically, OS X will use the RAM if it's available before accessing the swap space(?) on the hard drive. The more RAM available, the more it will be used by the operating system.

4. Oolongmen thread starter macrumors newbie

it's been up for 1~2 days
    of course restarting would fix it, but are there better solutions?

AFAIK OS X doesn't have Superfetch like windows, and even Vista only uses 1.5~2GB max on a 4GB setup with Superfetch running, and it gives the memory to any big programs I might be running. Right now OS X is just taking up the RAM for no apparent reason and even using my swap file (which slows down the computer) while running almost no apps...

5. Latro macrumors member