What is taking up all of my HD space??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .JahJahwarrior., Aug 7, 2009.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I did search, because I recalled seeing a thread on this in the past, but mostly found threads about upgrading when you run out of space.

I have an 80 gig harddrive, but it's almost full. I go through my folders, and see that music is about 7 gigs, photos is about 7 gigs, applications folder is 5 gigs, documents folder is 1 gig....at most I can account for perhaps 25 gigs of data. Where is the other 40 gigs coming from? Trash is emptied. Is there some simple way to list folders based on size or something to figure out what is taking up my harddrive space?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Get GrandPerspective. You might have a runaway log.

3. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

That is EXACTLY what I needed! And I found out what is taking up my harddrive space! Kind of....now I'm confused.

I've got a 30 gig folder called "Volumes" and most of it is "mac backup XX" and XX being numbers like, 1-30. I'm 99.9% certain that these are copies of the backups I run on my external harddrive...I've got WD Backup setup to copy my harddrive data to the external drive, and it looks as if it has also been copying that data on my own harddrive again!

But, looking at that folder in Finder, I also see "Macintosh HD" and "Grand Perspective" in there. GS I've got mounted like a disk, and then the other thing is my harddrive. So....should I just delete all the Mac Backup folders one by one? What are they doing in the "volumes" folder, what is the "volumes" folder anyways? And then I suppose I need to make sure my backup software doesn't make a copy of my drive on itself, eh?

Thanks so much for whatever help, this program is awesome!

4. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

Disk Inventory X is a helpful way to check your space~I found an .asl log hoggin' a chunk of space a few weeks ago..

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious