What is taking up all the space?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lyceumHQ, Aug 17, 2015.

1. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I have a 16gb iPad 3.

I just restored last week and updated to 8.4. Set up as new.

Now I keep getting a 'storage almost full' warning. I apparently have 1.2gb free.

I have 15 apps installed. Largest being av player which has two 700mb films on. Then Tapped out at 849mb. Then I have office with 283mb worth of files.

The rest are all listed as under 100mb.

I have no music at all. It's not set up for iMessage. It's not set up for email. So zero emails or messages. I have no contacts on there. I have no pictures on it besides one wallpaper. I have no music on it.

Yet 'documents and data' is almost 8gb.

I have a 16gb iPhone. It has 52 apps on. All my emails, messages, pictures, music and contacts and that still has 6gb free.

So what is taking up all the space on my iPad and how can I free it up?

2. crazyeyes macrumors regular

When you say documents and data is taking up 8gb where is the documents and data for? For instance when I go to storage and iCloud in settings under general and go to manage storage and I click on say Microsoft word it shows documents and data and how much space the documents and data for that app are taking up. Is there a specific app these documents and data are for?

3. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I mean on iTunes when you plug it in it has the bar at the bottom showing available space etc.

It shows other is 700mb which is about right for the iOS I imagine and 'Documents and Data' is 8.4 gb.

I don't have iCloud switched on (besides find my phone).

I use it as a media player basically. So there's very little actually on the device. Which is why I cant figure out why so much data is being used.

My phone has more than twice the amount of apps. Every photo I've ever taken on my phone since buying the iPhone 3G on release day. Messages. Contacts. Emails etc etc and still has 6gb space.

4. crazyeyes macrumors regular

Ok then on your iPad go to settings>general>storage and iCloud then click manage storage under the iPad storage and it will show every app installed and what space it's taking up then if you click on each app it will open up more info and show you the documents and data amount that that app is taking up.

I suggest looking at that and it will show which app is using the space for "documents and data" that will at least give you a place to start so you know which app is using the space cause it's going to be documents and data for one of your apps, maybe templates that installed with Microsoft word.

5. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Thanks.

Sorry I did mention that in my original post.

The biggest is av player with 1.4gb then tapped out 700mb documents and data (app is 849mb in total) then office with 283mb.

The rest are all negligible. The highest being ITV player with 8.4mb

Which is why I can't understand when I plug it in the over all 'documents and data' is taking up 8gb and I only have 1gb of free space.

6. crazyeyes macrumors regular

Oh ok I didn't see that. Sorry I must have read it wrong. I'm not too sure then.

7. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Figured it out, the only apps I had installed not listed are Kodi and Movie box, removed Kodi and hey presto, I'm back to 8gb free space.

I have no idea why or how as I stream and don't download stuff, so need to figure out how to keep it to a minimum.

8. crazyeyes macrumors regular

Ah yeah. Maybe it auto downloads stuff as you stream it so it can still access it offline as a buffer or something

9. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I don't think so. To be honest I don't even know how to Download via kodi.

Will have to do some research and figure it out. Just glad to know what it is.

10. bushido Suspended

bushido

it probably keeps the streamed files cached on your device. isnt movie box basically a torrent client? you leeche while u stream. thats why its dangerous to use here in germany. people keep getting charged like 500+ euro for torrenting

11. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

No they're both streaming.

The file is hosted somewhere and you stream it from the site. It doesn't download unless you tell it too. I know how to download in moviebox but have zero idea how to do so in kodi so I know it's not set up to download.

I also used ifunbox to search for files over 200mb and there were non besides the two films I myself have put on so it can't have downloaded the files as I watched them else there would have been more files over 200mb. And given I watch anything from 1-10 episodes of TV a night (insomniac) then I'd have ran out of space very very quickly if it was caching the files as I watched them.