What Is Taking Up So Much Space?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, May 18, 2008.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

OK I made 2 accounts and then decided to delete the new account I created. When I created the new account, I had about 17.3GB free. Then around 6PM I noticed that I had 1.8GB left!!! Where did it go? I'm not missing any folders because I can find all of them.

PS - The iTunes library got messed up and now all my music is gone (1300 songs). Although they remain in their folders in the iTunes library. I decided to move about 850 songs back into the iTunes (drag-and-drop). It took about 15 minutes to finish COPYING them. Was that what did it? My iTunes library was 14GB in size before today. What do I do? Can I see a graphic of what file or folder is taking up the most space?

2. matt90 macrumors member

To find out what's taking up so much space, I would advise downloading a freeware application such as Disk Inventory X.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

"I decided to move about 850 songs back into the iTunes (drag-and-drop). It took about 15 minutes to finish COPYING them."

This is probably where you're problem is. You most likely now have two copies of each file.

Instead, since all of your files were still in the iTunes Music folder you should have followed these instructions (Help Menu - search for adding files in iTunes Help):

4. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yeah I figured out what was wrong. I had 2 iTunes libraries. CASE CLOSED!