What is tethering on an iPhone 4 and how do i use it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by trenfro, Jan 2, 2012.

1. trenfro macrumors newbie

I think it's where you share your 3g network via iPhone, but i may be mistaken.

2. wpotere Guest

What network are you on?

It is where you can plug your phone to your laptop and use it to get on the Internet. A simple search would have gotten you the answer.

3. trenfro thread starter macrumors newbie

Verizon

4. wpotere Guest

Here in the USA, you have to pay the carrier for tethering. Contact Verizon and tell them you want to tether. It will cost you extra.

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Or get an android phone and do it for free!

6. wpotere Guest

Verizon doesn't allow that either. You have to pay for tethering.

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

read: root.

8. wpotere Guest

read : legal

I get it and it can be done with a JB iPhone as well. Is it legal? Nope....

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

never mentioned legal/illegal... didn't think it was relevant to the discussion of what is possible.

I don't condone anything... just stating what is possible. :p

10. wpotere Guest

Anything is possible, I have been JB'ing and rooting devices for a long time now. However, these companies are starting to monitor their networks. AT&T can already tell if you are tethering and will send you a nasty gram to let you know that they know. Verizon probably won't be far behind.

Your original post also didn't imply that it was rooted either. ;) As I said, you can do this on a regular JB'd iPhone but it still wouldn't be legal so I don't recommend it.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I'm with you... and I'm glad you mentioned it. I suppose it's only fair to add a disclaimer that illegal tethering CAN and WILL be found by your carrier (eventually all carriers will have ways to tell) and you WILL be in violation of your contract and can therefore be subject to "who knows what" that is in the fine-print...

NOT a good idea to do it.

I've tethered using USB and PDANet (before root) a handful of times. Of course I didn't have a 4G phone so my speeds were a neck-breaking 1.x-2.x MBPS lol... Only really used it in a pinch and in all fairness I really didn't know it was a large violation of contract, just kinda figured it was a "tisk tisk". My average data useage since I've had a smartphone (a little over a year now) is still under 2GB per month.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If the OP's in Canada it's called a wireless Hotspot and is included free with most carriers on 1GB or larger plans.

13. wpotere Guest

He said Verizon....