What is that? And how do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrCooperS, Jul 18, 2010.

1. MrCooperS macrumors member

I've been using OSX for a couple years now, but recently on my sidebar this object called "gray" appeared and I can't get rid of it. What is it? And how do I get rid of it?

It's on the sidebar under Applications. It's driving me nuts.

[​IMG]

2. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

can't you just drag that icon out of the Finder window?

3. MrCooperS thread starter macrumors member

It's not allowing me to click on it... I tried restarting the computer... didn't work.

4. therocket macrumors member

On the menu bar, go to Finder then click preferences. When the Finder preferences window pops up go to the tab the says sidebar and you should be able to uncheck it to hide it. That should get rid of it appearing in the sidebar but I don't know how you would figure out what it is if you dont know already.

Hope this helps

5. MrCooperS thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't show up in the in the preferences window...

I did find a way to get rid of it. I restarted it but also restarted the PRAM and that got rid of it...weird. No clue what that was...

6. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

As I can see, it is (was) an Disk Image, that you did accidentaly (?) drop into the finder. And now it wont disappear...

7. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Try deleting the following file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plists

You will need to either restart Finder or logout to see the change. Hope this works for you.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

First, it was an image file, not a disk image file. You can clearly see how one corner is tucked over, there's a colored blob in the middle, and there's burred-out writing at the bottom. ;) I actually had to zoom in (ctrl+scroll) before I could be certain. Plus the file name is something more likely to be attached to an image file than a disk image.

Second, did you actually read the last post before posting this? The OP got it to disappear...

EDIT: what's up with this? two posts by people who apparently read the first post and then skipped to the end without figuring out that the OP did fix his problem.