What is that awful noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ^^BIGMac, Mar 3, 2011.

1. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Just received my new 15" MacBook Pro. Ordered with 128GB SSD.

It's configuring as we speak and the thing is making more grinding noise than any HDD I've ever encountered.

What the heck is that? I thought the SSD drives are almost silent? Is it something else like the fan? sounds like a processing sound though. Plus it's been doing this for like 5 minutes.

Can anybody shed any light on this noise?

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked the fan speeds with iStat Pro yet or are you able to locate where the sound exactly comes from?

3. Killbom macrumors newbie

If it doesnt sound like a blowing noise (whoosh) and sounds like more of the sound from a harddrive(ticking etc.) my guess would be thats something is stuck in the fan :/

4. ^^BIGMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Wow...this is weird.

Apparently there is some sort of interference with the telephone on my desk that is making this noise. As soon as I stepped out of the room and launched the same application as was making the noise it didn't do it any more. Never gave that a thought but...

This phone is a pain in the a$$ as I have to keep my iPhone about five feet away otherwise I get this feedback from the phone. As soon as it's away rom the phone the feedback stops. Ever hear of this before. Away from the phone the machine seems to be as quiet as a mouse. I hope that is the problem

Gonna have to keep my eye on this. Trouble is using it on my desk is a problem right this minute. The phone must die.

BTW, it isn't the fans. Pretty sure about that.

5. ^^BIGMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Un-friggin'-believable. Yep, did some more testing. Soon as I moved the computer away from the telephone it's perfectly quiet. Brought it downstairs and did all the software updates, opened some apps and it didn't make a sound. Restarted and it was completely quiet.

It's an AT&T phone -- go figure: :p