What is that hd cricket sound?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by RoboCop001, Dec 15, 2007.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I think I have an idea, but just to be sure....

Is it when your hard drive sounds like it's stuck in a loop? I remember back in the day when my 6100AV did what I think is the "cricket sound".... it would make quick burst of the regular HD sound, only it would repeat it over and over again. Like um.... click click click click click click........... click click click click click click....... click click- you get the idea.

And also... I seem to remember it making a kind of buzzing sound at the same time.

Incidentally, the HD never broke.

.... lol

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Generally, when a hard drives starts making the "click of death" noises, it's doom is neigh.

3. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

But that's just another name! lol

So I'm guessing it's the weird repeating sound I'm thinking of.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

From the wiki link above:

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yep i've heard that click before. and it never turns out good

8. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I was expecting something about leather on willow.

But a clicking sound from the Hard Disk is not a good thing, backup your data quick.!!!

9. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

my sound

ok, im very worried about my HD dying, so ive recorded the sound is makes:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/16/1648172/Hdsound.mp3

i uploaded that recording, but there are specific instructions on how to play it, number 1, you need leopard, and an alu 14 inch imac (if possible), but certainly leopard, not macbook, the speakers on those are kinda weak, click on the link above, it will download, after it downloads, deattach any external speakers or headphones so that the main speakers are working, then set the speaker level to ONE, as in 1 from mute. then in finder, goto the file HDSOUND.mp3, press space bar to play in QUICKLOOK, not itunes, quicklook, when the quicklook windows opens, it will say the title of the song is called we will rock you split, i saved it in a wrong file in garageband

you will hear different sounds, high pitched sounds with clicks after it, those high pitched, loud sounds that come one at a time is my mouse clicking on an application to open it, those non stop little buzzing/clicking sounds are the HD, i went to the site Aperture gave, my HD sound didnt match any, anyways, just follow the directions and listen, and remember, the loud high pitched sounds is me clicking the mouse, the buzzes after that is the HD, i was opening applications, and as the HD worked, it made sounds, so basically whenever the HD is working. i was opening ilife apps, photobooth, google earth ichat, itunes, address book, skype, and stuff like that, tell me if you believe my HD is faulty!! thanx:apple:

10. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

11. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Sounds to me like general read/write sounds any HD makes, although it may be louder than I'd personally like (I prefer really silent drives). These can sound louder depending on the manufacturer of the drive and how it is housed (empty space = echoey).

I know from personal experience what a soon-to-be-dead-drive sounds like and that's when it 'clunks' when you're doing absolutely nothing. I had a Seagate drive that clunked for no reason so I cloned it, emailed Seagate and they advised it was dying and sent a replacement. You're opening apps so it's reading from the drive as it should do albeit, louder.

Who is the drive manufacturer?

12. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

you tried it? its the Seagate Barracuda ST3500630AS Q. did you do it at level one and everything?? anyways, i had a Maxtor on my old PC, now that was a lawn mower, i actually think it was louder than our vacuum, on my imac however, the clicking sound is whenever the HD is working, opening an app for example, or document, its says everywhere that a clicking sound is not good, now you're saying its okay?? im confused, but i'll bet you guys know better than me, and all me computers made this sound, my two other maxtor PC's, and this shinin' new seagate. so you're saying that those clicks that come after that loud click (my mouse) is normal? and yes, my imac is in an enclosed desk, if you click the link in my signature, you will see pictures of my imac ;)

13. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Get a new drive with a FW bare drive adapter and clone it, then switch it out. Your original drive is nearing end-of-life. Don't risk data loss. :(

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The crickets inside are yearning to get out...

actually, many of the SCSI drives I had did that - older hard drives are slower and more noisy...

15. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

My 5 year old Dell has made that noise all its life and is still okay. If in doubt, get a backup drive so you have the data in case of failure.