What is that noise? iMac G3 400

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lewis82, Aug 11, 2010.

1. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

What the heck is that sound? It comes from the speakers of an iMac DV 400, and only when turned off. You can hear the sound changing a couple times: it was synchronized with my father starting his electric saw in the backyard.

Very strange. Any ideas what this could be? I highly doubt it is only residual electricity, as it lasted well over three minutes. I only kept the last part of the recording.

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That doesn't sound to good. Does it happen when the iMac is not plugged in? And is the electrical outlet that the iMac is plugged into, is it properly grounded?

3. lewis82 thread starter macrumors 68000

lewis82

It has always done this, since 10 years, so it can't be that bad. I was just wondering what it was.

I could try leaving the iMac unplugged, but since it does it only for a few minutes from time to time (I don't know if it does it every day, I just happened to be next to it while it was doing the noise), it would be hard to verify.

The outlet theory is good, I should have a look at that. Maybe it is also related to the Mac being plugged in a powerbar full of other things (modem, router, printer, external HD, external DVD, printer...).

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Shift the eMac to a completely different power outlet in your house and see if it continues.