What is that symbol?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by csm2501, Oct 17, 2008.

1. csm2501 macrumors newbie

I have had my MacBook for over a year now and i love it. Its my first mac so I am still getting used to the commands and shortcuts.
    I have been trying to figure out what a certain symbol is. As I do not know what it is called I will try and describe it.

If you click on you desktop the word finder appears in the top left of the screen to the left of the word "File". When you click file and scroll down to "new smart folder" and you look to the right you see a symbol that looks like an elongated Z with a dash to the top right.

What is that thing? Is there a corresponding button for this on my keyboard?
    :confused:
    Any info would be amazing!!!

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

the 'alt' key

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Alt? maybe if there's a Pc keyboard

on mac keyboards, the "Z" with a dash to the top right is "Option"

Z-lke symbol - Option
    ^ - Control
    Up-Arrow - Shift
    Square symbol with loop ends - command

There was some place that told me these things, and I actually copied them to a paper, and taped it to the bottom left corner of my iMac, for reference.

---------------edit---------

I got it now. On the finder task bar, click "Help", select "mac help", and type in "symbols"

Select "symbols for special keys", this will display them all.

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Use Keyboard Viewer [SysPrefs > International > Input Menu > check Keyboard Viewer] to determine what keys do what, although their names are not given. You get access to KV via your country's flag in the top Finder menu bar. The Character Palette from those same Prefs is also very useful.

5. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Look at your option key closely - you might be surprised to see the letters "alt" on it as well

I still call it option though, just pointing it out.

And the command key is the Open-Apple key!

/It's still real to me, dammit!