what is the 11" Ultimate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jecksida, Dec 27, 2010.

1. jecksida macrumors newbie

Is there more to it, than just upgrading to the 1.6 processor and 4gb ram?

I apologize if I sound ignorant..... I am completely new to Mac.... just decided to make the swtch and I am getting the 11" Air. :) I have been reading these forums to help me make a decision! I want the most efficient verison of the 11" MBA. I thought about going with the 13", however...... it was a lot bigger than what I wanted. I like how small the 11" is... I am a student and will be taking it everywhere.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, it's the 11.6" with 1.6GHz CPU, 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM. It's the best 11.6" MBA that you can buy, that's why it's called "ultimate"

3. jecksida thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, that's what I ordered! whew! I just wanted to be sure that the Ultimate was not a step above all of that, that maybe I was missing out on.... :eek: ;)

4. snouter macrumors 6502a

I was suckered into the Air by its size and $999 price tag.

I ended up with the "Ultimate."

I had to have the 11.6" and 4GB of ram. In store, the "Ultimate" is the only way to get an 11.6" with 4GB of ram. I balked initially, but bought it the next day.

No regrets. I appreciate the extra 200MHz even if it probably is not tangible. The 128GB SSD will surely be nice. I have CS5 and some code tools on the Air. I also put some books and lectures and a couple of movies on the drive so if I ever get "trapped" somewhere I have things to listen to or watch. For anything more than iPad like media consumption and writing, I think the 4GB is essential.

I won't use the "Ultimate" moniker though. That would mean it was i3 or i5 ULV based and had a backlit keyboard.

Haters gon' hate.

5. snouter macrumors 6502a

Ultimate just means feature maxed out 11.6"

upgraded SSD
    upgraded CPU
    upgraded ram

no other real items to customize on the thing...

Oh, and I love mine. The capability for the smallness is constantly impressive.

6. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

the ultimate includes:

Platinum finish to the case
    Back lit keys
    Extended 32 hour battery life
    Built in 4g wireless card
    3d ready back lit 2560 x 1440 glossy screen
    Hinges that dont creak
    :D

7. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

It's fanboy slang for the highest specced version of each product. A bit confusing, as people will forget what to refer to once the next revision of the product is released! You'll have "old" and "new" ultimate, and soon everybody will laugh at you for calling your 5 year old machine "ultimate"

I have a bee in my bonnet about it as you can probably tell, whats wrong with calling it what it is, so everybody knows what it is!

8. jecksida thread starter macrumors newbie

haha..... awesome. I wanted to get the best one for the 11.6" size..... considering the amount I am already spending, I just couldn't find an excuse not to upgrade..... and I know that it would drive me crazy if it seems to lag or run slow.... I usually have a lot of internet windows open all at once. I don't really do anything too intense..... just might watch a few youtube videos, or maybe some netflix series....but I'd still like to run as smoothly as possible..... :D