What is the Actual Difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oebalus, Nov 23, 2016.

1. oebalus macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, I was wondering if someone can take the time to explain to me what exactly is the difference between this two?

So the context is, im looking for dongles for my new macbook pro 13, but i dont seem to understand what exactly is the difference between this

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/291779172563

and this

http://www.apple.com/sg/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter?fnode=8b

Arent they both essentially the same thing? Why is the demand for the second better? Is there something im missing?

2. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

1 Made by Apple, the other by ???

IMO thats the biggest difference. Build quality will tend to be better with "name" brands, and as others have noted in a few other threads, speed. Some were getting lower transfer speeds with off brand cables, from minor slowdowns to large reductions.

Not all the time.... but sometimes its best to stay away from the cheaper stuff.

3. CXsjr macrumors regular

CXsjr

Call me a mug, I don't care, I only ever use Apple branded peripherals with my Apple products when there's one available. The Apple USB cable for example is one of the best there is, so much slimmer than any other I've seen. Worth the extra £ / $ / € in my opinion.

Just my 2p worth ....

4. oebalus thread starter macrumors newbie

i see, so the capabilities of the item is general due to the brand. So if say Apple make both of those, then they will essentially be the same thing. The thing about the first item is, its not exactly a cable. its just something you attached to my old say Apple USB lightning cable.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 23, 2016 ---

wouldnt you rather has something attached to say your mouse and use its original cable then, adding another "longer" cable to it?

5. macmee Suspended

macmee

yes agreed. I would just buy that ebay listing tbh, and it even comes with 2?

if it sucks who cares its only 6 bucks.