What is the advantage of Pro vs Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zzyzx, Feb 9, 2010.

1. zzyzx macrumors member

So the update hasn't happened yet, my Macbook screen continues to give me issues, and I want to turn that into a desktop and get a new laptop. I can't pull the trigger on a $1200 laptop that has a 160 gig hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM so I'm waiting... when it occurred to me that the $200 difference would get me 4 gigs of RAM and a 320 gig hard drive in the white Macbook. That probably would suit my needs.

So my question is, other than specs (which aren't an issue now), what's the advantage of going with the Macbook Pro? All I know is that it has a different case and an illuminated keyboard. Does either of those make a huge difference for anyone? Are there other differences that I don't know about? I'm trying to make the right decision here and could use more data please.

2. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Unless I'm mistaken the Macbook uses a significantly lower quality LCD panel for its display. Its not bad (especially by 'cheap pc' standards) but has noticeably worse angles and color reproduction than the Pro models. That is the only difference you didn't mention however.

3. PAC88 macrumors 6502

there really is no major difference. just get the macbook unless you like the look of the aluminum case on the pro. the screen might be marginally better on the pro but the macbook has a good screen also

4. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

posters say that but when I check them out side by side in an apple store I see no difference.