Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newlifer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
spotify?, photoshop?, games? how do we find what we're looking for?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you're referring to the Mac App Store... you can search what you're interested in by category. Or by game type; for example, do a search for Solitaire games or Mah-Jong, etc. Lots of suggestions will be displayed.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I tend to search for an app solution on the web as there's a lot more information out there than just the blurbs about the apps in the App Store. If a web search results in an App Store link/purchase then so be it.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I also use web searches rather than restrict my searching to the Mac App Store.

The Mac App Store is not the sole source for Mac software. Many developers still distribute their offerings via their own websites.

The Mac App Store enforces certain restrictions that some developers find unacceptable or hampering. Apple takes a 30% revenue cut from Mac App Store sales.

If you limit your downloads to the Mac App Store, you will miss out on a lot of software.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I rarely go to the App Store. But then, I don't buy many apps elsewhere either. I suppose there is a market, or Apple would close it.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
I miss the old days when you would go to places like compusa looking at program boxes for PROGRAMS to use/play.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I find a lot of apps and utilities on MacUpdate. But generally, I look for apps on the web, not the Mac App Store (MAS). The MAS only has (roughly) 1 out of 1,000 apps available for any particular thing.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Many great apps I've found from browsing the App Store and reading the editorial. Currently I've purchased...
  • The Unarchiver
  • Magnet
  • 1Blocker
  • Amphetamine
  • MediaInfo
  • Final Cut Pro
  • Motion
  • Compressor
  • Logic Pro
  • MainStage
  • Affinity Designer
  • Affinity Photo
  • Affinity Publisher
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate II
The only apps I have that are not from the App Store are...
  • Avid Media Composer
  • Capture One
  • VLC
  • Office 2016
  • Spotify

hftvhftv

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
Step 1: Search
Step 2: Find stuff you're looking for
Step 3: Install/Sign in
The Mac App Store is the safest place to find software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.