What is the audio input quality of a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aluminum213, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I'm talking about plugging in a high quality pair of headphones into my late 2010 base model 13" MBP

is it on par with the audio input of an iphone or better?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

input or output? Are you trying to listen or record. Sound quality is great...as good or better than iPhone...recording is about on par with iPhone. You can get a USB pre-amp for recording/output if you want to spend some money to improve quality. But for listening with headphones I don't think you would notice a difference.

3. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Maybe I'm mixing up input/output, I'm talking about listening to an audio file via a headphone I plug in the laptop

4. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: fidelity of microphone recording...

Hi Aluminum213,

The nature of spoken language redundancy and the remarkable ability of the human ear/brain to accurately interpret badly mangled speech because of that redundancy means that the internal microphones on a MBP work fine for most speech applications, just as on an iPhone.

If you are after fidelity in recording, however, say the recording of music, then you will find much better reproduction of music when using an external microphone with preamps and USB adapter, such as the Audio-Technica AT8035 or similar microphones and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB adapter.

Regards,
    Switon

----------

Oh, sorry, so you were referring to the reproduction of audio by headphones plugged into the MBP. I find that the D/A converters in the MBP to be relatively good, especially when listening to speech through a pair of headphones which don't require large power resources. Of course, the fidelity depends upon the quality of the headphones, but most any of today's headphones will provide a bandwidth surpassing what the human ear can detect. If you wish to play music, especially with large dynamics, on a set of external speakers, then you will probably find that an external D/A converter designed to provide greater power and faster speeds (for the dynamics) will give better fidelity on your external speakers.

Switon

P.S. I don't know what the slew rate/power output/D-to-A conversion specifications are for the MBP, but of course you can get faster/more power/higher bit counts from an external unit than from the internal unit built into the MBP.

5. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

thanks for the response

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hahaha, iPod/iPhone high quality audio? Perhaps, but as the saying going if you have to ask... Probably on par.

7. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

[/COLOR]
    I never said iPhone/iPod had high quality audio, just asked how it compared