What is the benafit for high resulotion MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bo-waleed, Jan 28, 2012.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

Isn't 1440x900 enough for the 15" and even the 17"?

I only know that higher resulotion is bad for watching videos.

I asked this because the 2880x1800 rumor appear.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Benefit is everything will look sharper, though I'd say it's debatable that it's needed. I can see how it benefits things like the iPhone and iPad because of how you use them, but you don't really put a laptop screen right up to your face.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Higher resolution will give you more screen real estate to work on. That's probably the biggest reason why I'd opt for the hi-res display.

I'm on a 13" MBP and when using photoshop or LightRoom, its quite cramped.

4. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

More on the screen, I had 2 Macs with the standard res and then upgraded for my current machine to the hi res screen, you can see a big difference in what you get on the screen, for a 15" size it's great, text etc is smaller though but my eye's cope, and I no way have 20 20 vision! You can also fit more into the dock because of the res.
    Would I ever go back? Nah, I don't think so, whilst text is bigger etc you just don't see as much at once on the screen, as to weather it looks sharper? Not sure cause I can't remember what my other Macs looked like lol.. But it's Apple, the screen is always going to be nice.

5. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i uuse the screen zoom 99% the time i usee my laptop

Will i benafit ?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I've seen others say this but I'm not fully understanding how the resolution gives more real estate

if its a 15" screen how do you increase screen real estate from 1440x900 by making it a high resolution?

or is the theory you can work with smaller images on the higher resolution allowing you to fit more on your screen

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the default resolution for the 15" monitor is 1440x900 and the hi-res is 1680x1050 in the same form factor then those pixels will be smaller. So a 800x600 image will consumer more screen in the stock display at 1440x900 then in the 1680x1050 so you have more screen to add more windows.

8. tootall macrumors regular

I guess it all depends on what use your computer for (e.g.. professional photo editing might need/want hi res) and your personal preferences.

For me, the 2560x1440 res on my iMac yields too small caracters therefore I prefer to set it to 1920x1080... I would not pay extra for higher res... to each his own

9. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i play games and watching videos a lot.
    And surfing the internet using screen zoom.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't see how screen zoom would affect anything. Think about the older iPhones vs the new ones with the retina display. Does zooming in on text get affected from the old vs the new? No, it's the same, but the text will just look sharper on the retina. Same concept on a laptop.

The only difference is that you don't use a laptop/desktop screen the same way you do with an iPhone or iPad, so the benefits are really debatable.

Think about adding a retina display to say, a 50" television. What difference would it make if you sit 15 feet away from the screen anyway?

What maflynn is saying is basically that. The physical screen is of course the same size, it's just that having a higher resolution (aka more pixels, aka smaller pixels) will allow for more "space" because all the icons will be smaller on the screen. But when you start to have super-high res displays as rumored, the way icons are rendered on screens now would be unusable because they'd be too small. The idea is to have an operating system that can support icons at the same scale as they are now, but at double the quality.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Thanks for explaining

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Besides having more space for stuff because the clunky GUI shrinks it is sharper.
    Sharpeness is the main point of such a super high res screen. I think it is doubtful they will show though. ipad 3 might have one and Galaxy Tab 11.6" is rumored to have one but I doubt it will show on MBPs.
    in any case it makes a lot of text sharper. On 1680x1050 you can put 2 pages of standard 12pt text processing pages (like in Word) next to each other and the text stays sharp. Even 10 pt work not too bad. On lower res that is a blurry mess with too much AA.
    Yet in most Apps you can zoom anyway you want anyway but if you want this overview view it just stays nice and sharp. Makes for a much better experience.

13. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I honestly don't think they will double the resolutions on the displays, however in the next few years we may see higher resolution panels, with resolution independence in the operating system allowing for System GUI elements such as the menubar, and the window elements to scale and not appear ultra-small and unreadable.

A 16801050 13" display, a 1920x1200 15" display and a 2560x1600 17" display are already possible and this may be the direction Apple is headed.

Panels of 4000x2800 pixel, etc which have been talked about are farther off and right now very pricey and hard to produce.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only drawback to a higher-resolution display is everything will appear smaller and may cause eye strain for some folks.

Otherwise, you can view more, benefit from clearer text/images, the advantages are bountiful.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Higher resolution. Not sure what you're expecting as an answer.

For me? No. For you? No one can tell you. Only you can answer that.

No, it's not. You're confused. Explain exactly what you mean by higher resolution being "bad for watching videos". I watch videos just fine on my high res displays.

16. kasakka macrumors 68000

The video, depending on the resolution, has to be scaled and this will degrade quality a bit if scaled up.

Before OSX is properly resolution independent, we won't see higher res than current ones on Macs. iPad and iPhone are already capable of scaling quite nicely so we will see a higher res iPad first.

When we get resolution independence, we won't see much more screen estate but simply better, sharper text and shapes. It makes little sense to scale everything down so they become harder to read. The current high res models are pretty much as small as they should go given the screen size vs resolution.