What is the best 15 MBP screen protector!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GraphikGeek, Jul 6, 2011.

1. GraphikGeek macrumors newbie

Soo.. Here's the deal! I want a screen protector! But! I dont want it to be like the phone screen protectors that get a speck of dust in there and it bumps or starts to peel off around the corners after a month.. Does anyone know what I could get?? I dont need it to be anti-glare. Just want my screen protected..

While i'm on it... Is the keyboard protector really worth the hassle?? Personally I don't like typing on one.. But if it is really essential in protecting my computer.. I'll bear the hardship.. Any comments are greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

GraphikGeek

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Why do you want one anyway? What environment do you use your laptop in that would warrant a screen protector? I had a MBP from early 2007 and never had any protective gear on it. It looks brand new still after using it nearly everyday since I bought it.

3. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a Graphic Designer so I carry it around a lot. It goes wherever I go and I have found that the keys leave smudge marks on the screen and from what I have heard over time they lead to scratches on the screen. I am just one overprotective parent with my baby thats all! :)

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I've never heard that one before. Plastic can't scratch glass. Unless you are planning on leaving sand on your keys when you are at the beach, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I would never take it to the beach haha the beach is ME time! haha Pretty much I carry it to work every morning and where ever I go after that and to friends houses sometimes. I have a carrying case and a Speck Protective case on it. This is my first "NICE" computer and I want to keep it immaculate.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well I don't know of any protective things for you, but if you take care of it properly, it will be fine. That has been my experience with my MBP. 5 years old and still looks as good as the day I bought it.

7. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Well cool! Good to know! How do you clean your screen? I hear people saying that windex is not good for it.. I usually spray the glass cleaning solution on the paper towel and then wipe the screen.. Is this okay?

8. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I personally wouldn't use any paper product on the screen

You can get you a microfiber cloth and that will work nicely. I use a small microfiber that is for drying cars so it has more of a surface to get those smudges. Most here will say just to use water, put a small amount in cloth, wipe then wipe dry.

I've found another auto related product that works well Meguiars Quick Detailer. Again. Spray it on the cloth. My kids can't seem to stop touching the screen even though I tell them not to. This method keeps all of that off.

That's my vote.

9. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

What you are experiencing is a decade's old problem that Apple ignores, denies, and could care less about.

It's very real and I am going to include a link to a company that has become extremely successful selling an accessory keyboard cover. It's not the kind you type on but rather a very nicely produced, thin, cloth cover that you lay over the keyboard before closing the lid. Therefore it covers the keys so when they press on the display nothing happens. I have been using them for over 15 years and they are a great value.

The reason for this problem, is Apple is obsessed with making the laptop so thin, they fail to leave the customary amount of room (or airpsace or gap) between the keyboard and display when closed.

So when you put it in a backpack or case. Or sleeve and simply carry it, the small amount of pressure from gripping it causes the screen and keys to come into contact. That in combination with frequent movement will indeed scratch the display unless you use one of these.

This is a perfect answer, since they are washable, and very nice to clean off the screen with, when dry. There is no reason to moisten them just breathe on the screen as to "fog it" from your breath, like people do with their glasses, and if this is done weekly there is no need for any expensive or worthless chemicals that are sold with a fancy name.

If "fogging" doesn't work, then simply put a clean washcloth under a hot water faucet, soak it, wring it out, and along with another dry one, use the wet one to wipe down the display, the dry one to dry it, and then give it a final wipe with the microfiber cloth and you are all set.

Here's the link

http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This is exactly what I do, and keep in mind that my older MBP has the more delicate matte screen.

11. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Screen protectors are useless in my opinion. Never have gotten a scratch on any of my laptops. Not worth it.

12. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

13. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

First off thank you everyone who responded!! I had researched and some had said their screen did in fact scratch. For awhile I used a separator (the one used when I purchased the computer from Apple) and I lost that one! I looked at that shaggy mac product and that is some cool stuff! I wouldn't be as impressed if it couldn't double as a screen cleaner.. The person who started that thing must have made bank! I am leaning towards not getting a screen protector but rather deal with the keyboard protector or the shaggy mac protector..

So i'm wondering.. Is it really worth it to get the palm and trac pad protector?? I personally wouldn't think so.. Also, why is it not good to use a glass cleaner on the screen? I thought the display was in fact glass..

Thanks again for ALL your posts!:D

14. Herrow macrumors regular

+1) Been using the Shaggymac since 12" PB days and 5 laptops since. Keeps the screen mint. We get top resell value on our used equipment totally worth it imo!

15. randomrazr macrumors 65816

id highly reocomend a screen shield for phones and ipads

but the macbook pro or imac....no...

its a giant glass screeen. yes it can get smudges and such but why would u touch the screen in the first place? it can collect dust but nothing a swiffer duster or microfibre cloth can handle.

ur wasting ur time and money with a screen shield. its glass so unless ur gonna be touching and dragging sh** on the screen, then i wouldnt bother.

maybe consider the moshi cleargaurd keyboard cover?

16. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

This is all true! I completely agree! The thing about the keyboard cover is that I used someone elses and it was very awkward trying to type. I'm not sure if I would just have to get used to it or not.. But I guess it would be worth a try to get it.. Or to try that shaggy pad for a bit and see how that works for me. Either way, I take care of this as if it were my child! I can't wait to see what Lion has to offer. We'll see! Thanks again everyone for the comments! I appreciate it!

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i specifically recomend the moshi one, its the thinnest

18. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Razer kabuto mouse pad here hahah slides right in between the screen and keys and got a gaming pad on the go when I need it =P