What is the best 24" Display for $600 or less?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 9Charms, Jan 19, 2008.

1. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I know, I know, yet another "what display should I get for my Mac Pro" thread... sorry.

But in my case, I am limiting the question to only 24" monitors and I don't want to spend more than $600.

I want something with a Matte finish as I will be using for light duty RAW editing in Photoshop and putting together videos in Final Cut Express. I will be using a Spyder to colour correct my monitor.

So what's the best bang for the buck out there currently?

2. macgruder macrumors 6502

Probably a Dell 2407WFP-HC . The Dell 2408WFP is imminent and so it seems that the 2407 is going cheap now. I don't know what to read into it but the Japan Dell site is offering the 2407 very cheap until January 28th. Perhaps suggesting that January 28/29th is the date for a new release.

The best monitors are S-IPS panels, but you'll never find a 24" for $600 anyway. Just avoid the cheap TN panels - only good for gaming.

You could look around for a S-IPS 23" monitor. They are the same resolution as the 24" - just smaller pitch. The ACD 23" uses one. They are all made by Philips ( LG.Philips LM230W02 ) but you might find another maker who is cheaper for the same panel. Search on http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

If I could find a S-IPS 23" for $700 I would buy it although it is slightly out of your range.

3. 4mula1 macrumors newbie

Soyo

I bought a 24in Soyo at OfficeMax for $299.
    I think it works great but it might not be good enough for your use.

4. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

If you could find a refurbished ACD 23 for $799 from the apple store that is what I would buy. I realize that $200 more than your budget but you will get a TON more monitor in terms of Panel Type. Also that monitor will calibrate excellently using your Spyder.

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Or you could NOT waste your money and either go with NEC for a high end (IPS) panel or Dell for a much cheaper option (you can get a new 2407wfp for $500 if you look hard, the HC version for another $100)

6. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Ooops -- Might want to check your FACTS:

Start here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

Those Dells, while nice, are PVA panels. They are great monitors. My brother has one. He is professional Magazine Photographer. We use that Dell 2407 to test view all images we upload to the web. He also has an ACD 23 (as do I in my studio, along with 6 other very nice Flat Panels).

Here is what Anandtech says about the uncalibrated Dell 2407:
    Without any form of color correction, the color accuracy of all of these displays is pretty poor.

They go on to say:
    If the uncalibrated results are disconcerting, at least the good news is once you calibrate any of these displays you end up with very good results. Of the four displays we've looked at so far, the 3007WFP ends up having the best color accuracy. This could very well be attributed to the use of an S-IPS panel as opposed to the S-PVA panels used in the other three LCDs.

Notice how the S-IPS display calibrates with less Delta E than the PVA panel you endorse?

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2940&p=7

In our studios, guess which monitor we find superior for color accuracy, calibration potential and consistency.

Hint: It is not the dell.

The facts are out there.

7. ceres macrumors regular

There are multiple revisions of the non-hc 2407 out there.
    If you can get your hands on a A04 2407 buy it. Out of the box (despite some production variance) it´s a very well calibrated monitor accurately showing srgb colors. The 2407-hc is a more difficult machine too tame.
    I used to own one and had to hardware calibrate it to get proper results.
    There is a noticable green hue out of the box and some proven ghosting on a number of screens. The one I used to own didn´t have any ghosting or coronoa effects but some banding that I was able to get rid off lowering the green rgb channel. Both the 2407 and 2407-hc offer hdcp over dvi and have a nice usb hub and card reader. The high color backlights on the 2407-hc will very likely cause you more trouble than good so shoot for a 2407 A04 if you can get it for around 600USD.

8. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Thanks for the info on this: very useful to me for future purchases.

Dante

9. 9Charms thread starter macrumors regular

9Charms

Would the Dell E248WFP 24'' be waste of time/money? Keep in mind, I am going to be using a Spyder Express to calibrate it... and I am only doing hobby-level work, nothing professional.

The 2407WFP is not available anytime soon in Canada (and probably won't be at all) since the new 2408 is on it's way. I have a old Viewsonic 17" I can use while I wait, but is it worth waiting?

Side question: would any of these monitors be okay to play XBOX 360?

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The 2407WFP-HC is on dell's site so get that one it's the best your going to get for 600

11. 9Charms thread starter macrumors regular

9Charms

Ya, I was going to pick that one up, but at 3+ weeks for delivery, it's probably not going to come. My experience with DELL has been when shipping says that long, they're probably going to discontinue it, but they just haven't gotten around to tell you just yet.