What is the best all around non intel ssd?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Battlefield Fan, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Ok, so the story goes that I am going to be buying a laptop in mid July. I want to stick a ssd in it. The ability to have the laptop run windows through boot camp is a must.

I really like the Intel ssd's but their inability to run windows (unless the new firmware fixes this?) makes them a no no.

Restrictions: So what is the next best option? I would like to keep it around $750 but price really is not a restriction. I want a drive that will have performance that will last for 3 years.

future/ new ssd's: I heard that Samsung was going to be coming out with some sweet ssd's. Has any one formally tested the OCZ summit? Also there are rumors that Intel will release a new set of ssd's during "their fourth quarter". Rumors of 320GB capacity and 32 nm manufacturing process are some rumors I heard. Any insight into the Intel rumors?

Thanks!

2. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Thanks for the link. Unfortunatly I already have read the article and understand a lot of the concepts he discussed. I guess I really want to know how the ssd's are going to improve between now and mid July (I would even wait till September if that meant beening able to buy a intel ssd that would support boot camp

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Waiting for 6 months will mean a totally new landscape of SSDs on the market. You either want it now, or later. If you can wait, you basically should.

4. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

if i were to buy now, i'd get the ocz vertex.

i'm waiting though, because one thing you can count on is that prices will drop and the technology, which is in its infancy still, will improve.

5. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

6. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

I read in several places that with the newest firmware the Intel drives don't have bootcamp problems any more. However, I do not own one and have no experience with it myself. Anyway, personally I wouldn't buy the drive before the laptop - first get the laptop and then see what's available then.

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I only can speak for the Vertex.
    Yes, it is true that you can totally "reset" your drive, e.g. by flashing it with a firmware or using a program like HDDerase.
    Also, the Vertex already supports TRIM, as you might know, so you could use the TRIM software (only for Win32bit right now) to clean the empty space of the drive.
    I don't know about native TRIM in SL,...