What is the best app for tracking, like a pedometer?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Turnpike, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I'm looking to start walking, adding distance each day, and because part of the walk would include a train ride to get into the city (walking is more interesting in NYC) I prefer to use an iPad, so I can read or watch stuff during the hour+ train ride each day.

How accurate is the iPad as a distance tracker or pedometer? The price of an app is not a concern, but accuracy is. While walking I'd keep it in a backpack, so GPS would probably be best, right?

Price is not an option, and it can disable while on the train while I use the IPad for other applications. Any help from those "in the know" would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

if you intend to use GPS to track your progress you will need a 3G enabled iPad. then do a search for Nike+ GPS on the App Store. I use the Nike+ GPS app on my iPhone and it works quite well for outdoor use. if I try to use it indoors I find that it does no get a strong enough signal for accurate measurement. luckily the iPhone has the built in Nike+ app and I have the Nike shoe sensor. http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/