What is the best back protector for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SkibuL, Dec 15, 2012.

1. SkibuL macrumors newbie

I am looking for a back protector for the iPhone 5. I know many companies have them, and I am looking for the best one to contain the naked look of the iPhone. I have a Spigen Ultra Crystal on the front.

Thanks so much for your time.

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I like Zagg for body skins. Nice pearl but clear appearance. I dislike them for screens though.

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The Spigen Ultra Crystal back protection.
    Some of their cases come with a full set even.

4. jammerz, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

jammerz macrumors regular

If you want to maintain the naked look of your phone, I would go with Ghost Armor. Check out my pic of the back. I love the Matte version, but you can get it in clear as well. Please note that I have clear on my front, and it does smudge a lot with oily fingerprints.

Attached Files:

5. SkibuL thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the back have bubbles around the apple logo and the edges on the Spigen back protector?

Where did you get the Body Armor installed at, or can I install it?

6. NewToMac11 macrumors member

check local mall for one of those Kiosks, they have a ghost armor one at the local mall here, conveniently located right outside the apple store.

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Well yes just a little. You'll need a thin vinyl skin that's likely applied wet to avoid it looking that way.

8. jammerz macrumors regular

You can get it installed at one of their mall kiosks ($5), or you can install it yourself. I would let them install it the first time, because then you can go the the kiosk and get a replacement whenever you want and install it yourself rather than having to mail it in.

9. Gray bishop macrumors regular

10. SkibuL thread starter macrumors newbie

11. myfavoritePA macrumors newbie

Here's what I have tried for the iPhone 5:

Wet Install Clear Skins; One-Piece
    1. Ghost Armor
    2. Best Skins Ever
    3. generic film from Amazon
    4. Phantomskinz matte
    (I have also tried Zagg InvisibleShield in the past for my iPhone 4s)

Dry Install Clear Skins
    1. Spigen Crystal Clear Mix (transparent upper and lower, matte mid-back)

Dry Install Skins (non-clear)
    1. Sticker boy backs (and sides) in various combinations of: slate jet black brushed metal, black powder coat, white powder coat, black stealth, white stealth, brushed gold, white carbon fiber, black carbon fiber, red carbon fiber

2. The Lucky Labs duo tone backs (and sides) in various combinations of: matte black, glossy black, matte white, brushed metal, teal, cotton candy pink (matte), olympic blue

Opinions to follow in an edit. If anyone has any specific questions about any of these, let me know.

12. pat park macrumors 6502a

Can the Spigen be nstalled using the wet method?
    Dry skins always look blah. To me the wet application seems to yield the least bubbles, issues etc.

13. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

Spigen does have a wet method install version called the incredible shield. I bought the Ultra Crystal Mix and it's nice but the matte back does have bubbling around the apple logo and the iphone logo whick drives me batty which is why I'm getting the clear-coat full body wet install screen shield to get rid of that damn bubbling.

14. pat park macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the dry skin install. BUt like you, will probably get a full skin wet for the back eventually.

15. Oui macrumors 6502

16. dinesh29888 macrumors member

I am using the Best skins ever for my back it's a wet application and so i get the rubbery feel which i like a lot for more grip + side i have the Lucky labs in orange and on the front i am using a matte finish scratch guard. Will post the pics soon.

17. Gray bishop macrumors regular

giving it as a present for the holidays, but if i did keep it yep it would go on my phone, along with the 1000 other purchasers of the same product

18. pat park macrumors 6502a

I am eager to see your pics. Please post when you have a chance.

19. araje macrumors regular

Try Skinomi full body.
    It comes with front back and sides and is excellent. It retails for about 8$ on amazon but is simply great.
    I use it for back and sides. For the front I have the power source matte finish one

20. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

I'm waiting the see if Power Support comes out with something for the back. Before switching to the 5, my 4S ran around with PS anti-glare one the front with the clear on the back and nothing else.

21. jdecosta macrumors member

I was waiting for PS for their back protection and they said they are not doing one for the iPhone 5. Their sister company Truprotection did come out with one and I received it yesterday. I do have the black iPhone 5 and their information on their website says it will not look good on the black phone and they were 100% correct.

22. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

Nice. I have white so I may check it out.

23. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

24. mackandproud macrumors 6502

Great rec! Is this skin compatible with a case, like the belkin candy grip, or is it meant only for use with a bumper?

25. darky90 macrumors member

I really like the skins from Slickwraps.com. It gives pretty good protection from scratches (none for falls) and makes your phone look like it came that way.