What is the best bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by austin571, Aug 7, 2010.

1. austin571 macrumors regular

I just purchased the rocketfish noise canceling bluetooth. It does not feel secure.
    Any suggestions?

2. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I like the Jawbone Icon. It works well for me.

3. optimusp517 macrumors member

optimusp517

I've been very happy with my jawbone prime.

Curious about bluetooth handsfree speaker for the car though.

4. austin571 thread starter macrumors regular

THe newer ones have a wire that wraps around the back - feels weird and comes loose. I am looking for one that has more of a flat wider piece that goes behind the ear.

5. austin571 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone tried the sennheiser brand?
    Just wanting some opinions as I will be traveling 60 miles back to Best Buy to return the rocket fish

6. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Thanks for asking this as I am in the market for a BT headset as well. How about blue ant? Any thoughts on that vs. Jawbone?

7. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Overall, the Plantronics Voyager Pro is probably the best. I've tried MANY over the years. I've done extensive comparison testing between the Voyager Pro and the Jawbone Icon (to the point where my friends and family were getting quite annoyed) and they preferred me on the Plantronics in almost every test scenario. The Jawbone is *slightly* better at some noise canceling situations, but it cancels noise completely differently than the Voyager Pro. My sister actually preferred hearing a mild amount of background noise with the Voyager vs. the method Jawbone uses where it's silent until you start speaking and then background noise gets picked up all of a sudden. She found that more annoying than a small amount of constant background noise which the Voyager does a pretty good job of suppressing overall.

I do not particularly care for the Jawbone's fit over time either. The rubber ear gel gets oily over time and then it rotates a bit on the earpiece. This creates an issue as the ear gel wedges into your ear in order to keep the Jawbone in place. I found that I had to take it off and wash it with soapy water once every day or two (I'm on the phone all day long for work). The Voyager doesn't have this issue since it goes over the ear. Also, I find the Voyager more comfortable over the course of the day vs. having something wedged in my ear to hold it in place. I never could get the Jawbone to work with the shape of my ear/face with the included ear hook. The hook wouldn't allow the Jawbone to sit flush against my face which is critical with that headset. But that's probably just due to the shape of my ear/face.

I spend 5+ hours a day on the phone for work (and I only have a cell phone). I would have to remember to plug the Jawbone in when I had downtime between meetings as it's battery lasted 3-3.5 hours at best for me. I've never had to recharge the Voyager until the end of my workday - even on days where I had 6-7 hours of calls. I believe it's only rated for 6 hours, but I know for a fact it has lasted longer than that on occasion. I realize this isn't as big of an issue for most as it is for me since I'm on the phone constantly, but it's worth mentioning in case it's important to you.

You can always buy/try both at Best Buy and return the "losing" one based on your tests. Their return policy is fantastic with no restocking fees. That's what I did.

That being said, if you are using this headset with an iP4 or iOS4, know that MANY people seem to be having intermittent audio issues on bluetooth calls. Quite often, you'll sound extremely muffled to the other party and have to hang up and re-dial to resolve the issue. It seems to happen for most (me included) if the call doesn't originate in the headset (i.e. you flipped over to the headset during the middle of the call). There doesn't seem to be a way to recover from this without ending the call and starting a new one. The problem is affecting just about every headset on the market based on feedback from those in the thread pertaining to this issue and the problem seems to be related to iOS4 more than the iP4 itself. Several people who upgraded their 3GS to iOS4 started experiencing the issue where as their headset worked perfectly under iOS3 on the same phone. Hopefully Apple fixes this soon!

Here's the link to thread about the problems if you're interested:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2481487

8. austin571 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information. Went by Best Buy to return the rocketfish. Looked at the Motorolla, plantronics pro and plantronics discovery.
    Took them over to the apple table and looked up reviews. They were bad on the motorolla. The P Pro was bad only due to the earpiece breaking from the mic arm. The apple wanna best buy told me that the P Discovery would not sync with the IP4.
    I ended up getting the P Discovery, opening it there at the store, pairing it, and made a couple phone calls and had people call me back. Ended up leaving with that one.
    hard to believe that it stays in your ear without a loop around the top, but it does. After about a hour of shopping, I forgot it was there.

9. operator207 macrumors 6502

I use the jawbone icon thinker, with the jabra ear gels.

If you dont like the hanger going around your ear, and like the bud style, try these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C7E3NI/ref=oss_product

They are from a jabra earbud, and fit quite well.

I cannot stand the jawbone ear pieces, they make my ear ache after an hour. They get worse if I put it on and take it off multiple times.

This earbud is also pretty quick to put on. I keep the bud in my pocket turned off. When I get a call, I turn it on, and by the time I have it in my ear, it is synced up, and I am live with the person calling me.

Of course all of this was with my old 3GS, with my 4, BT is unusable. I seem to be one that suffers not only from the BT problem, but the proximity sensor problem.